Original Poetry Forums

Poetry Survivor Contest

01-06-2010 at 10:05:57 PM

RE: Poetry Survivor Contest

Ok, I see and agree that he is EinStud.

01-07-2010 at 07:37:39 PM

Great! I can't wait for the next round. I heard something this week that Doctor's will use to educate their students of surgery.

Lecture.
Demonstrate.
Teach.

That is the progression interaction of Teacher and Student. I thought it was a great idea to have the student "teach". Isn't that when we learn the most? When we teach?

So, I must admit I am nothing more than a student in this Poetic World.

Peace my friend, Gary

01-07-2010 at 09:41:02 PM

Peace Gary!!!

01-08-2010 at 12:05:24 AM
  • kabbalistic
  • kabbalistic

red face I am brand new. I am not understanding what is going on here. Who is this character that you guys refer to?grrr

01-08-2010 at 12:32:38 AM

RE: RE: Poetry Survivor Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by "kabbalistic"

red face I am brand new. I am not understanding what is going on here. Who is this character that you guys refer to?grrr

Hey grits...what do you think...could this new guy be the one and only...magnificent studly111.....?
hmmm

01-08-2010 at 03:16:09 AM

LOL!!! I think that The Great Studdly has about a dozen personalities here!!! LOL!!!

01-08-2010 at 07:36:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "kabbalistic"

There is a game we are playing. It is called Poetry Survivor Island. You can find the details if you search for PoetrySurvivor1 (and make "him" your friend so you can find the game easy again). You rate each poem, give comments, and we vote 3 poets off the island.

I am a judge (self proclaimed). And you can be a judge too. Anyone can be a judge. A "trbal judge" I guess.

Perhaps some people think I am a poet from years ago pretending to be someone else. Incognito? I am not this guy they think I am. I just made the comment that, "he sounds like a character".

That is that.

But...

In the game, we can all let our personalities out. I like to be a "bad guy" style character.

That is where we are.

Peace Out, EinStud

01-08-2010 at 08:48:24 PM

Sometimes we get off the track and run along the gravel and ties looking for bitumin that might have fallen from a rambling coal car...usually though, one of us gets hit on the head by a Pinkerton man. Ein and Kab, have you signed up for Feb's poets pit run ?

ohh

01-09-2010 at 07:40:59 AM

Ditto Go.

01-09-2010 at 07:44:26 AM

February's poet line-up is now complete. I'll be accepting contestants for March. To those of you entered in the Feb. contest... I'll contact you with instructions in one week. GET YOUR POEMS READY... THE FEB. CONTEST BEGINS JAN29th.
cool smile

01-12-2010 at 07:52:46 PM

Drama. I sure hope there are some wise people on this island who can see the value of "drama". Drama, conflict and resolve will help this game flourish.

Cheating, misunderstanding, thrashing reviews, misdirection, differences, are all what make a succesful story. We are all together in this game as one family.

And the story continues on.... PoetrySurvivor1

(What ya think about this trailer idea? How can it be better? Are you afraid to make improvements? Can you tolerate EinStud?)

Peace... "Live and Let Live", EinStud

01-12-2010 at 11:54:17 PM

Approximately one month ago, I had a novel idea. Start a contest with one goal in mind... An honest vote to find an honest champion. Simple... How naive! Two weeks into this contest and I"m forced to send a contestant home for enlisting friends (not fellow OP poets, friends) to make profiles for the sole purpose of voting for this contestant. I was told these friends did not know which poem to vote for. All four voted for one contestant only. Then I was told it was a misunderstanding of the rules. I thought long and hard on one thing.....Three poets went home in the first round and did not elicit votes for their poems. They followed what was believed to be the rules.They accepted the vote from their fellow poets. They may not have agreed, but they accepted.

I realize now, an honest contest cannot be accomplished.There will always be outside influences, whose sole purpose in life is to ruin novel ideas. There will always be those who believe winning a contest is more important than the beauty of their own poem.

Before I go, I'd like to thank Marsink, Tempy, and Charlie23. They may have gone home early, but, they have gained my respect. Each has a wonderful poetic ability and an honesty that does not permit them to bend the rules to fit an agenda.

My job as moderator is to protect these contestants to the best of my ability. I feel with this decision I have done just that. At the moment, I am debating closing this contest at the end of the month. It is not worth my time and effort to have " others " attempt to destroy a novel idea.

01-13-2010 at 12:34:11 AM

Well Tom, why not let the people here know who had the misunderstanding
of a simple rule of the game ? But, please don't let all your work go to waste...

..........................................gogant

01-13-2010 at 12:50:15 AM

Don't stop the contest, please. I agree, that the best laid plans oft go astray, but I think that a deserving person could triumph over slight of hand (keysrokes). I think that every person involved should show Tom some appreciation for his sacrifice to put this together, because it didn't fall together on the OP site by itself.

01-13-2010 at 01:16:45 AM

Let me apologize first of all to any and all poets that I have offended. It was never my intent to cheat nor bring about the early demise of poetrysurvivor1 . By the title of the game, it would lend one to believe it was a contest “survival” not just another forum to post our poetry on and therefore votes were conducive to winning. There was not a rule stating that we could not invite or tell other people about it. In fact, I was under the impression that getting outside people to read poetry here would be a good thing. The only thing I am surprised at is I’m the only one who thought of doing it!

Tom, I appreciate the time you gave to administrate the contest and hope that if you do continue, the rules will be clearly defined before the entries are accepted.

Other than that, I will say...I’m rather enjoying the notoriety. Getting kicked off the island has probably brought more attention my way than if I had stayed on.

01-13-2010 at 01:46:28 AM

A 12 for Aria!!!

Thank you for your prompt frankness and honesty. You have explained everything clearly and directly and I can only think highly of you.

Tom, I agree with Gogant that the contest is better and stronger now with good publicity and should continue.

Red pencil ready,

Grito

01-13-2010 at 08:23:19 AM
  • WatashLegend
  • WatashLegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by "PoetrySurvivor1"

Approximately one month ago, I had a novel idea. Start a contest with one goal in mind... An honest vote to find an honest champion. Simple... How naive! Two weeks into this contest and I"m forced to send a contestant home for enlisting friends (not fellow OP poets, friends) to make profiles for the sole purpose of voting for this contestant. I was told these friends did not know which poem to vote for. All four voted for one contestant only. Then I was told it was a misunderstanding of the rules. I thought long and hard on one thing.....Three poets went home in the first round and did not elicit votes for their poems. They followed what was believed to be the rules.They accepted the vote from their fellow poets. They may not have agreed, but they accepted.

I realize now, an honest contest cannot be accomplished.There will always be outside influences, whose sole purpose in life is to ruin novel ideas. There will always be those who believe winning a contest is more important than the beauty of their own poem.

Before I go, I'd like to thank Marsink, Tempy, and Charlie23. They may have gone home early, but, they have gained my respect. Each has a wonderful poetic ability and an honesty that does not permit them to bend the rules to fit an agenda.

My job as moderator is to protect these contestants to the best of my ability. I feel with this decision I have done just that. At the moment, I am debating closing this contest at the end of the month. It is not worth my time and effort to have " others " attempt to destroy a novel idea.

As far as what was a misunderstanding and what wasn't will always be debatable I for one have understood that the word anonymous has been associated with the idea of this contest from the start hence why the writers names are being separated from their works to me that would fall under common sense.

Now from your perspective that it isn't worth your time and effort I will disagree with you there because I feel you have done in a short time what the weekly contest fails to do and that is get people excited. You started out with the mission to get people read and you are succeeding with that. You also have people I didn't know existed on this site replying to your forum threads wanting to be in the contest that alone makes it a success. There was a minor setback/snafu the contest can get past that.

I remember before the first set of poems ever went up that I told you in a pm I don't see how this could work but I did wish you and the contestants luck and I hoped it worked out for you. Well in a matter of weeks you were able to show me that it can and will work with a bit of cooperation so from that aspect you proved my thought process wrong. I feel happenings like what happened will be few and far between and if it happens and you gain knowledge of it just disqualify them and move on but don't let it get you down because I feel if you stick with this in the long run you will be glad you did. Also you are the right person for the job of moderating this contest.

In closing I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you that I hope you think this through and decide to stick with it and maybe realize the positives with running this contest outweigh the negatives. Just my humble opinion of course.

01-13-2010 at 08:28:44 AM

Ditto with what Watash said.

01-13-2010 at 09:15:01 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure you should let anything end your contest. There will always be people who try and undermine the system, and those who won't take losing well at all. We get this a lot with the weekly contest. No system is perfect, you just have to make due with what you have, and try to improve things.

-Papa Paczki shock

01-17-2010 at 10:56:32 PM

Look. It is clear that the powers of the island do not understand poetry, mythology, or for that matter anything that is written. It is okay, we all can learn something new.

With every substantive poem, play, or "prosody" (cousinsoren) comes a Hero, and an Anti Hero (an antagonist). I sure hope the "Cous" helps me out on this one....

And of course there is the object of possession, the girl, the love.

Hero. Anti Hero. Lover. Makes for a great triangle. Who will pop up to be the "lover"? Perhaps, Aria? Do we have others? Do we have a Cleopatra in the midst?

Time will tell...

EinStud
zipper

Last edited by EinStud 01-17-2010 at 11:08:02 PM

01-17-2010 at 11:07:02 PM

RE: RE: RE: Poetry Survivor Contest

I am behind the leadership and with what "WatashLegend" wrote. The fact of the matter is this. Some one else will step up and succeed if you choose to fail. It is a fact of life. I will not be that person, because I do not have what it takes to lead this forum. I am the "antagonist" and that is the way I like it.

You are obviously a "protagonist", Tom. You have widespread support. You either lead, or you fail. It is your choice.

Peace Out, EinStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by "WatashLegend"

As far as what was a misunderstanding and what wasn't will always be debatable I for one have understood that the word anonymous has been associated with the idea of this contest from the start hence why the writers names are being separated from their works to me that would fall under common sense.

Now from your perspective that it isn't worth your time and effort I will disagree with you there because I feel you have done in a short time what the weekly contest fails to do and that is get people excited. You started out with the mission to get people read and you are succeeding with that. You also have people I didn't know existed on this site replying to your forum threads wanting to be in the contest that alone makes it a success. There was a minor setback/snafu the contest can get past that.

I remember before the first set of poems ever went up that I told you in a pm I don't see how this could work but I did wish you and the contestants luck and I hoped it worked out for you. Well in a matter of weeks you were able to show me that it can and will work with a bit of cooperation so from that aspect you proved my thought process wrong. I feel happenings like what happened will be few and far between and if it happens and you gain knowledge of it just disqualify them and move on but don't let it get you down because I feel if you stick with this in the long run you will be glad you did. Also you are the right person for the job of moderating this contest.

In closing I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you that I hope you think this through and decide to stick with it and maybe realize the positives with running this contest outweigh the negatives. Just my humble opinion of course.

01-18-2010 at 11:31:00 AM

I know Ein makes a valid point.
Drama and art,
poetry is both, require a balance.
A point and counterpoint to elicite the full spectrum of the potential. Here Ein is our Muhammad Ali in his legitimite and literary attempt to bring attention and drama to an inovative contest that I am sure Tom will allow to florish with paricipation by those that have an interest in it's success,
and that definately includes our so cuddly Ein!! LOL!!.

01-19-2010 at 03:40:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grito

Drama and art,
A point and counterpoint to elicite the full spectrum of the potential. Here Ein is our Muhammad Ali in his legitimite and literary attempt to bring attention and drama to an inovative contest that I am sure Tom will allow to florish with paricipation by those that have an interest in it's success,

Bravo, Grits. Maybe one-stud might try joining in the poetrysurvivor contest...but then, maybe he has already done so.

01-19-2010 at 03:48:07 PM

RE: RE: RE: Poetry Survivor Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogant

Originally Posted by Grito

Drama and art,

Bravo, Grits. Maybe one-stud might try joining in the poetrysurvivor contest...but then, maybe he has already done so.
rolleyesrolleyes

01-19-2010 at 03:50:33 PM

What's every body talkin' about? There's a Survivor contest on TV? I thought this was a venue for poetry or some other literary jargon. big surpriseshockcool smile

Poetry is not a turning loose of emotion, but an escape from emotion.

T. S. Eliot (1888-1965) American-English poet and playwright.