Original Poetry Forums

Getting Discouraged with OP

11-16-2010 at 06:51:38 PM

RE: Getting Discouraged with OP

julieannetx and other new members......the bottom line is this.......do not get caught up in the comments on your poetry being what this is all about....comments are very cool......its nice to know your words have reached out and touched a stranger.....that someone relates. that being said you can't rate the quality of your own poetry or your experience here on comments alone......if you want comments really read the works of other poets and IF you find something you wish to comment about......then leave a real heartfelt comment that lets the writer know you read his/her poem and really felt it man. i guess what i'm trying to say comment well.....dont leave half assed comments just to get one back.....and if the poem did nothing for you then don't leave one at all......the way i got known on the sight is if i found a poet whom i related to their work......i would try to read all they have written and leave comments on the poems i loved the best...the ones i related to the most.......its all about if i can relate to the poem for me not if i think its well written because there are some talented writers on here that i don't relate to at all....thats not to say they are not gifted writers....they are......i just don't get them for whatever reason.......and thats my bad not theirs.........anyway as usual i'm getting off topic....if want to become a part of the site....and its a special rewarding place in cyber space.......then you have to do a lot of reading. when you find someone who speaks to you let them know by reading most if not all of their work........if you leave numerous comment on a poet you like....if they are active they will respond and if they don't then maybe they don't have time or they just aren't that into you and if that is the case so be it......if you want comments.....read read read and read some more and comment on what moves you.........give it time........it will happen.....or you can always start a fight in the forums with a popular poet and get everyone talking about you.......and if you win the fight.....you are in....lol just kidding. good luck to you and good writing.wink

Bear......i was never in the popular clique.......not in high school.....not at work.....not when i was younger in the club scene.....maybe i was in the drug scene.....but thank you i am honored to be considered one of OPs.....inner circle........that being said we should all be aware that being considered part of that gives us a certain clout.....and they way to keep OP growing and evolving to its full potential is to make it a point to read new members and bring them into that circle as well.....i agree with maddie....if they have ink for blood and write to live as if words were air and water.....then by all means........welcome.......the circle is open....come on in......maybe pops can create a page where new members are listed so we can make it point to send out the welcome wagon.

Last edited by JadedJezzabel 11-16-2010 at 06:59:36 PM

11-16-2010 at 07:12:56 PM

RE: RE: Getting Discouraged with OP/ JADEDZAZZEL"S WISDOM

WISDOM, MY Dear! Wisdom in all that you are saying here. I hope all who are discouraged will read you carefully and rethink. I am not boasting, but I have never, never been disilluiosned with OP. Either something is wrong with me, or there is something strikingly right and alluring about OP.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&[b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedJezzabel

julieannetx and other new members......the bottom line is this.......do not get caught up in the comments on your poetry being what this is all about....comments are very cool......its nice to know your words have reached out and touched a stranger.....that someone relates. that being said you can't rate the quality of your own poetry or your experience here on comments alone......if you want comments really read the works of other poets and IF you find something you wish to comment about......then leave a real heartfelt comment that lets the writer know you read his/her poem and really felt it man. i guess what i'm trying to say comment well.....dont leave half assed comments just to get one back.....and if the poem did nothing for you then don't leave one at all......the way i got known on the sight is if i found a poet whom i related to their work......i would try to read all they have written and leave comments on the poems i loved the best...the ones i related to the most.......its all about if i can relate to the poem for me not if i think its well written because there are some talented writers on here that i don't relate to at all....thats not to say they are not gifted writers....they are......i just don't get them for whatever reason.......and thats my bad not theirs.........anyway as usual i'm getting off topic....if want to become a part of the site....and its a special rewarding place in cyber space.......then you have to do a lot of reading. when you find someone who speaks to you let them know by reading most if not all of their work........if you leave numerous comment on a poet you like....if they are active they will respond and if they don't then maybe they don't have time or they just aren't that into you and if that is the case so be it......if you want comments.....read read read and read some more and comment on what moves you.........give it time........it will happen.....or you can always start a fight in the forums with a popular poet and get everyone talking about you.......and if you win the fight.....you are in....lol just kidding. good luck to you and good writing.wink

Bear......i was never in the popular clique.......not in high school.....not at work.....not when i was younger in the club scene.....maybe i was in the drug scene.....but thank you i am honored to be considered one of OPs.....inner circle........that being said we should all be aware that being considered part of that gives us a certain clout.....and they way to keep OP growing and evolving to its full potential is to make it a point to read new members and bring them into that circle as well.....i agree with maddie....if they have ink for blood and write to live as if words were air and water.....then by all means........welcome.......the circle is open....come on in......maybe pops can create a page where new members are listed so we can make it point to send out the welcome wagon.

Last edited by cousinsoren 11-16-2010 at 07:13:45 PM

11-16-2010 at 07:14:47 PM

RE: RE: Getting Discouraged with OP/ COUSINSOREN"S REPLY

]A LETTER TO CaliBlu

Dear,
The OP site is a wonderful place to be., In time, if you persist, you will find it so. I have been here for some time now, and I am never discouraged, whether my poetry is read or not. Occasionaly, I ask through Private Message ( PM) for fellow poets to read a poem that I dearly want them to read. I suggest that you make use of this facility,.

Please don't permit yourself to be discouraged. You are doing the correct thing. When you are dis-satisfied , speak up. voice your complaint. On the OP site , your complaint will be heard. See how many responses are there on the Forums, since you expressed your dis-affection?

Buzzworthy is becoming a good thread to bring attention to poets who seem to be ignored. Some poets are really trying to remedy the deficit.

[quote="CaliBluE"]it is for this reason...that i am leaving OP,
i know that i write well....but it is getting more and more rare that comments are given or that pieces are getting read here.
my other sites are more productive than this site.
i have been here for a long time and things have not changed.
to you i wish good luck.
me...i am finally done.
i have asked for my account to be deleted.[/quote]

Last edited by cousinsoren 11-16-2010 at 07:16:24 PM

11-16-2010 at 07:21:21 PM

]A LETTER

Dear Flower

Nice to see you encouraging another OP Member to stay..

The OP site is a wonderful place to be., In time, if you persist, you will find it so. I have been here for some time now, and I am never discouraged, whether my poetry is read or not. Occasionaly, I ask through Private Message ( PM) for fellow poets to read a poem that I dearly want them to read. I suggest that you make use of this facility,.

Please don't permit yourself to be discouraged. You are doing the correct thing. When you are dis-satisfied , speak up. voice your complaint. On the OP site , your complaint will be heard. See how many responses are there on the Forums, since you expressed your dis-affection?

Buzzworthy is becoming a good thread to bring attention to poets who seem to be ignored. Some poets are really trying to remedy the deficit.

[quote="Koalabearflower"]Hey Julie Ann,

I am new, but I hear your discouragement and agree with your thoughts. Sometimes in poetry circles, anything goes, in the way that people are allowed to express themselves. Of course, to those of us who enjoy the art of crafting a good poem and turning good phrases, we enjoy receiving appropriate kudos for what we turn out. Sometimes I have felt the same yet I kept on writing poetry for the sake of writing poetry. It is the consistency of performing our art whether anyone notices or not which get us noticed. The are different education and language levels of poetry appreciation that one writes to in a virtual audience. Consider all these things and don't get discouraged. There are people out there that will appreciate what you have to offer. We all learn from each other. Sometimes in the simplest of poems I have found things that often spoke to my heart even though the piece was lacking punctuation, spelling, and other things, grammatical.

January Keck--Writer [/quote]

11-16-2010 at 07:46:02 PM

WISDOM, Standing Bear! WiSDOM! You have spoken well in defence of OP. Probably a Guide Book should be prepared to reassure new comers especially, how to get their poetry read on OP ,and what are poet's rights and privileges on the OP site. I had suggsted long ago, that we should abolish the rating system, and have small 'pro tem" panel of judges to select the wimming poem for the week. I also suggested that there should be only one entry per week per poet, in the Weekly Contest, and an the tenure of entry be two or three weeks with withdrawal of entry after. I also suggested that an entry could be re-entered, at a later date. In this way every poet would gain attention. I am under the impression that my recommendations have been ignored. as they were not even acknowledged. Of course, I shall not permit any discontent to make me cancel my membership, as I for-see more and more satisfaction coming for all members ,in due course.
s's

[quote="StandingBear"]
First and foremost, what I've described as an inner circle of poet friends simply relates an inner clique of sorts. We're poets who've cultivated friendships through our poetry and we voluntarily comment back and forth on each other's work. We hold no special power of preference, only choice. We're the intimate cog of this wonderful OP dysfunctional family with several perfectionists thrown in for balance, writing, reading, commenting, and most important of all sharing amongst friends with no barriers. Any and everyone is invited and/or welcome to join, make friends, and share in this ever growing OP juggernaut, cutting edge poetry site. Simply put, OP is far and wide the best poetry site available to all poets! Through my own experience i've composed a list of active, participating poets whom usually return comments without having to be asked. There aren't any guarantees or promises a comment will be returned to an initiating commenter, only an observation of sorts. Usually if one of these listed poets doesn't return a comment, it's because they've a time consuming important matter they're tending to as we all have on occasion. Give them time, they'll come around! Anyone whom doesn't want their name on this list, please relate and they will be scratched from list if the edit option is accessible. Anyone whom would like to be added, feel free to add your pen name since there's no way possible I can list everyone. Thanks OP family poetesses, poets, members, new members, etc... Great writing, reading, commenting, sharing to all! At the very least, a highly potential new poetry friendship awaits us all!
*******************************************************************************************************************************
In no certain and/or preferential sequence, this poet list is randomly selected
*******************************************************************************************************************************
SaVvySam,Papapaczki, NativeAmeriGirl, Hampton, Aria, CousinOren, Tierra7,
CountryPoet, Charlie23, IanScott, Madelynn, WordSlinger, Ginga, Dahlusion,
GentleT, UnworthyFather, Cmlestrade, Artie, Cheronld, Merlyn, LunaMarie, Rsalassi, SpringSize, Bandit1192, Frog, Kmooney, JadedJezzabel, Stellar, RaggedyPoet,

RHPeat, Lesabug, Balladeer, MindNumbing, Dano, JLorian, Epiksonik, Kanicki,
EinStud, Shelly53, Chaos128, SarahRedHawk, ArgusWayne, DancingHawk,
ShadowWalker, Optimistic, Kah, Hiporlacking, JustStella, Ming, Worthless, Gogant, Outspoken, ApaqRasgirl, Angel33614, Earthly, Olan01, Regina2, LoneWolf, Wheelsal, Kdarcy, OrangePony, Laydbak1, Azzrella, Anaisnais, ArronPalmer, BlackButterfly1,

Sx9, ImStillHere, MalikPeterson, Londo, 2poemsforu, PoetsofBlood, Blackfootlady,
Stefy, WriterGenevieve, BadBadBear, (special mention) Aixa and Grito, JadeMelissa74, Knight4696, DestinedQueen, BdiSernhagen, JulieAnnetx
Enjoy life, poetry, and friends!
StandingBear zipper[/quote]

11-16-2010 at 07:54:03 PM

WISDOM , Kanicki, Wisdom! You are speaking very well!

]A LETTER TO JULiE

Dear Julie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanicki

Hello All Fellow Poets - Reading this forum, I would like to offer my humble insight. While I understand the sentiments regarding the original posts; I wish to offer a little encouragement. First, I love this site; I'm grateful for all that it has to offer; an opportunity to read some of the most soulful rich poetry; on various topics; invoking an array of feelings and views. I have enjoyed the poems of OP, read many many poems, before I ever posted a poem. When I decided to post a poem, I did without any expectations, I did so because it was a cathartic forum for me; if someone found pleasure, wisdom, my poetry resonated with another poet, I considered it an extra bonus, I still do.

I'm light years away from being a skilled poet; I'm grateful this site has provided me an opportunity to learn and grow in the skill of writing poetry; I do contend that one of the best ways to accomplish that goal is to read others poetry. Too reading poetry if I never write an award winning poem; that makes others take notice; it's OK with me; I'm still left the richer for others have shared their light, beauty, humor, insights and wisdom with me, etc, to read...without a fee.

In the past, I have taken a writing class at the university, when I was majoring in science, so it wasn't a requirement; I decided to do so because of my love and appreciation for the art. The cost of that class was $1,200.00.; it was worth it. However I must say, I have gotten more out of OP...and it hasn't cost me a dime. I appreciate what OP has to offer; and I do agree with JohnE...so I feel a moral obligation to give back. How do I do that? Well, I for one, when I read a poem, I don't just skim over it; I feel it's disrespectful to the poet; I take time to cogitate about the message, style and creativity and 99% of the time leave a comment. At times if I have a comment, or a critique in a way of a suggestion; with respect for the poet/person...I send it privately in a pm...another thing I like about OP; it provides us with that opportunity.

I feel that all poetry has something to offer; even those who haven't honed the skill, or may write a poem or poetry with grammatical errors, etc...within the poem, there still could be an amazing message. Perhaps, someone reaching out; Hence a little over a week ago someone wrote a poem about contemplating suicide; I was concerned; the poets desperation served as motivation for me to write a poem; my hope it would help temper another human beings feelings and reconsider their options. It was a way for me to give back, within my limited skills, I sincerely hope what I wrote was helpful.

I'm too am grateful that I have met many friends on the OP site. I contend the best way to meet friends is to become a friend. How does one accomplish finding poet friends? Depending on my mood, I surf the site, if I'm in the mood for humor, love, melancholy...up pops numerous poems from varies poets...I click on a poem...and often I have from a friend; why? Because someone has written a poem that has fulfilled my particular desire at the time...anytime of the day or night...and that's awesome. If their work-style/skill resonates with me; I follow their work and let them know; I appreciate their art and thank them for their gift...of insight, laughter, wisdom...whatever it is I was in need of at the time...and that's just grand.

Julieannetz I'm sorry your discouraged! I hope I can offer you some encouragement; I look forward to visiting your poetic home and invite my friends to do the same/

JohnE I really enjoyed your Forum poem and too thanks for the video, love Mayer...Say What You Mean to Say...LOL

Too all fellow poets, and to OP thanks!

Peace, Light and Love

Cheers,
Kanicki
grinsmilewink
[/b]

11-16-2010 at 07:54:04 PM

WISDOM , Kanicki, Wisdom! You are speaking very well!

]A LETTER TO JULiE

Dear Julie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanicki

Hello All Fellow Poets - Reading this forum, I would like to offer my humble insight. While I understand the sentiments regarding the original posts; I wish to offer a little encouragement. First, I love this site; I'm grateful for all that it has to offer; an opportunity to read some of the most soulful rich poetry; on various topics; invoking an array of feelings and views. I have enjoyed the poems of OP, read many many poems, before I ever posted a poem. When I decided to post a poem, I did without any expectations, I did so because it was a cathartic forum for me; if someone found pleasure, wisdom, my poetry resonated with another poet, I considered it an extra bonus, I still do.

I'm light years away from being a skilled poet; I'm grateful this site has provided me an opportunity to learn and grow in the skill of writing poetry; I do contend that one of the best ways to accomplish that goal is to read others poetry. Too reading poetry if I never write an award winning poem; that makes others take notice; it's OK with me; I'm still left the richer for others have shared their light, beauty, humor, insights and wisdom with me, etc, to read...without a fee.

In the past, I have taken a writing class at the university, when I was majoring in science, so it wasn't a requirement; I decided to do so because of my love and appreciation for the art. The cost of that class was $1,200.00.; it was worth it. However I must say, I have gotten more out of OP...and it hasn't cost me a dime. I appreciate what OP has to offer; and I do agree with JohnE...so I feel a moral obligation to give back. How do I do that? Well, I for one, when I read a poem, I don't just skim over it; I feel it's disrespectful to the poet; I take time to cogitate about the message, style and creativity and 99% of the time leave a comment. At times if I have a comment, or a critique in a way of a suggestion; with respect for the poet/person...I send it privately in a pm...another thing I like about OP; it provides us with that opportunity.

I feel that all poetry has something to offer; even those who haven't honed the skill, or may write a poem or poetry with grammatical errors, etc...within the poem, there still could be an amazing message. Perhaps, someone reaching out; Hence a little over a week ago someone wrote a poem about contemplating suicide; I was concerned; the poets desperation served as motivation for me to write a poem; my hope it would help temper another human beings feelings and reconsider their options. It was a way for me to give back, within my limited skills, I sincerely hope what I wrote was helpful.

I'm too am grateful that I have met many friends on the OP site. I contend the best way to meet friends is to become a friend. How does one accomplish finding poet friends? Depending on my mood, I surf the site, if I'm in the mood for humor, love, melancholy...up pops numerous poems from varies poets...I click on a poem...and often I have from a friend; why? Because someone has written a poem that has fulfilled my particular desire at the time...anytime of the day or night...and that's awesome. If their work-style/skill resonates with me; I follow their work and let them know; I appreciate their art and thank them for their gift...of insight, laughter, wisdom...whatever it is I was in need of at the time...and that's just grand.

Julieannetz I'm sorry your discouraged! I hope I can offer you some encouragement; I look forward to visiting your poetic home and invite my friends to do the same/

JohnE I really enjoyed your Forum poem and too thanks for the video, love Mayer...Say What You Mean to Say...LOL

Too all fellow poets, and to OP thanks!

Peace, Light and Love

Cheers,
Kanicki
grinsmilewink
[/b]

11-16-2010 at 07:59:51 PM

WISDOM, Dah. WISDOM! You speak with experience here.

]A LETTER TO JULiE

Dear Julie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlusion

I have been a member of OP for two years and I can honestly say that if the site is not working for you then you are not working for the site. One can not expect to have dozens of comments on a poem with only 13 friends. One must work hard and diligently to make an impression here, and this type of focused work pays off.

There are small press publishers on OP looking for poets to publish—I know this as fact as I have been picked up from this site for publishing by Stillpoint Press, who has published my first book: IN FORBIDDEN LANGUAGE, now available through our printer, www.lulu.com.

I have been on several poetry sites and this is the one that offers the possibility of publication in an anthology and with outside publishers looking for poets.

If you want more comments on a particular poem, then spend the time needed to make your friends aware of this.

There are close to 50 thousand poets on this site, so one has to do more than post a poem to get noticed. It's arrogant to think that all one has to do is post a poem and all of OP will respond. Doesn't work this way, that is, until you are established, then your "fans" are looking for new poems from you, and you still have to work to get the numbers up.

Peace and Light,
dah

kiss

11-16-2010 at 08:13:03 PM

RE: RE: RE: Getting Discouraged with OP/ COUSINSOREN"S REPLY TO JULIE

WISDOM. Lil' SIs, WISDOM! YOU are speaking very well here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelynn

Originally Posted by julieannetx

Thank you Standing Bear for listening and your support. Sometimes we all get complacent and need somebody to shake things up....tonight I got to be the shaker .LOL
To WordSlinger re "Ask not what your website can do for you..." I hope I didn't come across like I expected anything... As a person who enjoys writing, sharing with other people, and reading other people's expression, finding a site where you can do that with people who seem to be on a similar wavelength was a very pleasant surprise. I would just like to be more a part of all that. Sorry it's this A personality thing.(mixing with my inner child)..I've always been a ringleader, in the middle of everything, and if there's an inner circle, by god, I want to be in it!! wink
Seriously your willingness to share the list of friends and encourage people to get more involved is more than I could ask for and I feel better already!

Julieannetx

Julie, I just read all of these posts- and what I can say to you is- first Im sorry. Im sorry if you have ever read me, and I didnt visit your page. I dont mean to be self-consumed, but I just have so many things going ALL the time, and poor health.. so I dont usually evevn get on here til after midnight. Also, I know how painful it can feel being leftout of a social net, and how unfair. Remember, this is not a matter of 'mean-ness', you have the same opportunity here, we all started with, and you really have to 'get involved'! Not once in a blue moon, but consitantly. Remember diligence pays off- and the fact that you came on the public forum, with a touchy, fingure pointing subject, means.. you have the kind of strong, out-spoken written voice, that I know- I freakin' love in a person! Julie, as far as Im concerned their is no circles, just people on here who think of poetry as a hobby- and people on here that LIVE to write! If pencil-lead is what pulses thro' your veins, and you dream in ink- then honey.. take my hand, and you can walk right into the middle of my circle of writers with me! ps- ill check out your work today!!, and Julie, if Im responsible for making you feel ostacized, then please forgive me, truely I am sorry.. now get out there and mingle!! LOL
~Madelynntongue wink

************************************************************************************************************

]A LETTER TO JULY[/b]

Dear Julie,

11-16-2010 at 08:13:03 PM

RE: RE: RE: Getting Discouraged with OP/ COUSINSOREN"S REPLY TO JULIE

WISDOM. Lil' SIs, WISDOM! YOU are speaking very well here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by julieannetx

Thank you Standing Bear for listening and your support. Sometimes we all get complacent and need somebody to shake things up....tonight I got to be the shaker .LOL
To WordSlinger re "Ask not what your website can do for you..." I hope I didn't come across like I expected anything... As a person who enjoys writing, sharing with other people, and reading other people's expression, finding a site where you can do that with people who seem to be on a similar wavelength was a very pleasant surprise. I would just like to be more a part of all that. Sorry it's this A personality thing.(mixing with my inner child)..I've always been a ringleader, in the middle of everything, and if there's an inner circle, by god, I want to be in it!! wink
Seriously your willingness to share the list of friends and encourage people to get more involved is more than I could ask for and I feel better already!

Julieannetx

Julie, I just read all of these posts- and what I can say to you is- first Im sorry. Im sorry if you have ever read me, and I didnt visit your page. I dont mean to be self-consumed, but I just have so many things going ALL the time, and poor health.. so I dont usually evevn get on here til after midnight. Also, I know how painful it can feel being leftout of a social net, and how unfair. Remember, this is not a matter of 'mean-ness', you have the same opportunity here, we all started with, and you really have to 'get involved'! Not once in a blue moon, but consitantly. Remember diligence pays off- and the fact that you came on the public forum, with a touchy, fingure pointing subject, means.. you have the kind of strong, out-spoken written voice, that I know- I freakin' love in a person! Julie, as far as Im concerned their is no circles, just people on here who think of poetry as a hobby- and people on here that LIVE to write! If pencil-lead is what pulses thro' your veins, and you dream in ink- then honey.. take my hand, and you can walk right into the middle of my circle of writers with me! ps- ill check out your work today!!, and Julie, if Im responsible for making you feel ostacized, then please forgive me, truely I am sorry.. now get out there and mingle!! LOL
~Madelynntongue wink

************************************************************************************************************

]A LETTER TO JULY[/b]

Dear Julie,

11-16-2010 at 08:21:42 PM

Whoa MaryAnne- im not making assumptions- nor am I condemning the fact that SB threw out names- he wrote in his post, if someone did not want to be 'named'- come forward.. so I did. -and Im sorry MA- this entire topic is based on the concepts of cliques, and circles! -so my reply on this issue, was a reply ABOUT this issue- which may not be an issue to me... but odviously IS a HUGE-ASS issue to many.
- John and I started out 'hello- greetings deal, with it being mentioned that we were running a test pattern, and trying not to exlude anyone out that we 'mix' with. Totally not even the same concept as SB's letter here on the forum. Our greetings was trying to bring OP to the next level, for live reads- this letter by SB is a letter of active members( and the word 'circle', was NOT my description.. it was SBs.) Look, in ANY social situation.. work, the bar, school, church, hell- even the mall.. groups form. I will not apologize to anyone for being in the group I am in on here- it happens to be the most talented group of writer- friends I could ever dream of rubbin' elbows with! I wont apologize others do not share the common interests we do- that brought us all so close, and I sure as hell won't sit here with egg on my face, because I think the idea of 'catagorizing' who is popular- being public, is what I think to be a shallow, social, sell out. I love Standing Bear- I do... "hear me Wildman., love ya(and you know it!)"- but I do not feel I need to be named on a list, to prove I am an outstanding OP member, or dedicated poet- or, a good friend canditate. I am just a writer here- who believes in poetry. Take me/or leave me.
MaryAnne this letter SB wrote, is NOT a ' Hello Op..' letter- its a letter of the names which have founded this website, and made it a success- and it was written from SB to Julie.. in refrence to 'cliques' - if working my ass off, writing and pullin' all nighters- and promoting friends who write is a clique, or 'circle' thing- then honey, my name is written in big fat red letters- but I will choose how Im represented.. and Im sorry- the A-list thing is NOT my thing.
Maddi

11-16-2010 at 08:34:13 PM

Dear, Julie. (and other Julies out there) There is a place that is known as OPLand. Where one can dream in color, or in black and white. Take those dreams and turn them into readable muses for all who dwell there to enjoy. I've been here for nigh on twenty years……I was here before the land was cultivated, before the fruits of poetry played upon the fields of tender grass……..don't get discouraged if the winds of discourse blow your way……walk into the forums with humor, sarcasm, bitterness, joy, controversy….get into the games they play……into the limericks, and most of all…get in among the crowd….

wink........................................gogant.............................cool smirk

Last edited by gogant 11-16-2010 at 08:35:17 PM

11-16-2010 at 09:32:49 PM

RE: RE: Getting Discouraged with OP

Quote:

Whoa MaryAnne- im not making assumptions- nor am I condemning the fact that SB threw out names- he wrote in his post, if someone did not want to be 'named'- come forward.. so I did. -and Im sorry MA- this entire topic is based on the concepts of cliques, and circles! -so my reply on this issue, was a reply ABOUT this issue- which may not be an issue to me... but odviously IS a HUGE-ASS issue to many.
- John and I started out 'hello- greetings deal, with it being mentioned that we were running a test pattern, and trying not to exlude anyone out that we 'mix' with. Totally not even the same concept as SB's letter here on the forum. Our greetings was trying to bring OP to the next level, for live reads- this letter by SB is a letter of active members( and the word 'circle', was NOT my description.. it was SBs.) Look, in ANY social situation.. work, the bar, school, church, hell- even the mall.. groups form. I will not apologize to anyone for being in the group I am in on here- it happens to be the most talented group of writer- friends I could ever dream of rubbin' elbows with! I wont apologize others do not share the common interests we do- that brought us all so close, and I sure as hell won't sit here with egg on my face, because I think the idea of 'catagorizing' who is popular- being public, is what I think to be a shallow, social, sell out. I love Standing Bear- I do... "hear me Wildman., love ya(and you know it!)"- but I do not feel I need to be named on a list, to prove I am an outstanding OP member, or dedicated poet- or, a good friend canditate. I am just a writer here- who believes in poetry. Take me/or leave me.
MaryAnne this letter SB wrote, is NOT a ' Hello Op..' letter- its a letter of the names which have founded this website, and made it a success- and it was written from SB to Julie.. in refrence to 'cliques' - if working my ass off, writing and pullin' all nighters- and promoting friends who write is a clique, or 'circle' thing- then honey, my name is written in big fat red letters- but I will choose how Im represented.. and Im sorry- the A-list thing is NOT my thing.
Maddi

GOT TO RESPECT THIS......REAL TALK. MUCH LOVE AND RESPECT TO YOU MADDIE.......THIS IS WHY YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11-16-2010 at 10:06:49 PM

Quote:

Maddi

Madelynn: WOW!! You go girl. You really tell it the way it is--and for that I respect you! Not sure why your health is not the best, but I have a similar problem as far as my health being far from homeostatic. And being on here well past midnight most nights--that's another trait we share! But your post here is what the commentary was supposed to be about and, again, keep on speaking your mind. Like I said, you really tell it the way it is; and you do it very well too! Not trying to blow any sunshine up your ass or anything, but you do have a very good way with words!!!
Derek Lavis (Pen of Darkness)wink

11-16-2010 at 10:17:11 PM

... discouraged ?? ... with OP ??? ... meee?? ... never!!! ...

OP Rock & Rolls!! ... Ya gotta Roll-Roll-Roll ya gotta thrill my soul welll alll-right !!!

(right, StandingBear?)

Last edited by lunamarie 11-16-2010 at 10:42:55 PM

11-16-2010 at 10:46:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamarie

... discouraged ?? ... with OP ??? ... meee?? ... never!!! ...

OP Rock & Rolls!! ... Ya gotta Roll-Roll-Roll ya gotta thrill my soul welll alll-right !!!

Save our city!

11-16-2010 at 10:52:19 PM

STANDINGBEAR,

SAVE OUR CITY!!!! ... A-RIGHT NOW!!!! ... (giggle) ...

Last edited by lunamarie 11-16-2010 at 10:53:44 PM

11-16-2010 at 11:22:17 PM
  • CaliBluE
  • CaliBluE

RE: RE: RE: Getting Discouraged with OP/ COUSINSOREN"S REPLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsoren

thank you for the encouraging words but i am done. i have been here a long time and i have seen the changes. as i have said...there is good and there is bad and there is in-between. i read many and i don't always comment. it is not the comments really..it is only that in the volumes of poetry i have seen...it is mostly the same people. makes you wonder. i am not alone in this.

i write for myself...i always have. those who know me well know i do not mince words. i have enough politics in my life with work, business, family and general daily life...i don't need it in a place where i enjoy writings.

in the past, i have tried the forums but i found them to be filled with alot of pettiness. i gave up. it was not what i thought. if i want a social page...i have those. friendliness should be a part of every page that there is sharing...here i found that many were circles and tough to break in. so be it.

i wish you all well and it my sincere hope that OP grows ...away from pettiness. i used to be excited here.

kali

]A LETTER TO CaliBlu

Dear,

[quote="CaliBluE"]it is for this reason...that i am leaving OP,
i know that i write well....but it is getting more and more rare that comments are given or that pieces are getting read here.
my other sites are more productive than this site.
i have been here for a long time and things have not changed.
to you i wish good luck.
me...i am finally done.
i have asked for my account to be deleted.
[/b][/quote]

11-17-2010 at 09:40:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogant

Dear, Julie. (and other Julies out there) There is a place that is known as OPLand. Where one can dream in color, or in black and white. Take those dreams and turn them into readable muses for all who dwell there to enjoy. I've been here for nigh on twenty years……I was here before the land was cultivated, before the fruits of poetry played upon the fields of tender grass……..don't get discouraged if the winds of discourse blow your way……walk into the forums with humor, sarcasm, bitterness, joy, controversy….get into the games they play……into the limericks, and most of all…get in among the crowd….

wink........................................gogant.............................cool smirk

I always love how you word things Gogant. It fills my soul with such light. As for the topic of this particular forum it is very important to remember it is not about the quantity of comments that you receive but the quality. If you only get one comment on a poem but it is evident that that person truly got something out of your work consider it a job well done and move on. If not well as long as you are satisfied with your work then that's all that matters.

For a very long time I wrote simply for the praise and appeased the masses that read my work however I was extremely dissastisfied with what I was producing. It was scary to break away from them and take my own route saying to hell with what others thought or said.

Write for yourself, no one else.

11-17-2010 at 08:26:59 PM

The conditioning of the words inner circle, clique, gathering, crowd, elite, etc...has been unintentionally misplaced. My posts aren't meant to promote any such thing but rather to encourage harmony in the midst of ALL OP poets. I simply should've related the most active OP poets whom return comments without being asked. This previous statement should afford balance to any and all political correctness and OP poets names posted. Any poet here is an OP member, this is a given. Any one to say they're not a part and/or member, certainly have the right to their voice as any and everyone here has a voice. Harmony is presented and whether it's accepted is up to each and every poet's own decision. Everyone's voice is welcomed, heard, and appreciated.....whether voices are positive or negative. Due to popular belief, there's nary a hint pertaining to anything being offered for sale or purchase and this includes no hidden costs. I thank everyone for their interest and input, regarding the ramifications pertaining to this issue. Write, read, comment to each poet's desire! I'd like to reiterate a very well known John Lennon quote...... Give Peace A Chance!

StandingBear zipper

Last edited by StandingBear 11-17-2010 at 09:48:41 PM

12-11-2010 at 03:00:01 AM

A Shout Out to our Watash Legend

Where ever he may be-----

Last edited by WordSlinger 12-11-2010 at 03:00:34 AM

12-11-2010 at 03:28:25 AM

RE: A Shout Out to our Watash Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSlinger

Yeah I wonder what did ever come of him it's like he just completely fell off of the planet maybe Watash stands for washed up or something? hmmm

12-11-2010 at 03:38:01 AM

RE: RE: A Shout Out to our Watash Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecross

Originally Posted by WordSlinger

Yeah I wonder what did ever come of him it's like he just completely fell off of the planet maybe Watash stands for washed up or something? hmmm

I dont know but he was smart

12-12-2010 at 12:35:09 AM

Where have some of the best gone ?

As you know, Slinger, some fine people have gone their separate
ways. I hope we don't lose anymore.............blank stare

I am here for as long as I can be...............................gogant

12-12-2010 at 03:22:14 AM

To all those who are getting fustrated and thinking of leaving OP please read this, I have the answer for those who really want to know. I have created a forum with the help of a team of poets on OP that is called, "The ins and outs of OP". This forum was created specifically with the idea to help orient new members to the site and teach you all the little tricks that experienced members have learned about the site. In particular I focused alot on how to get your poetry read as I know most people join OP for this reason, to share. Here is the opening thread to my forum that will better describe the purpose and intent of the forum:
People come to the OP from around the world for many different reasons, but one thing is always universal, people come to get their poetry read. This forum was created for two simple purposes, one as a guide to the ins and outs of the site for new members and the other is to feed our most basic need as a poet, the need to get your poetry read and get feedback. This information will help new members orient to the site as well as older members that want to increase their knowledge or that are having trouble getting their poetry read.

The rules of this forum will be quite simple, posts are to contain only information that will help accomplish the main goal, nothing more and nothing less. Please only post info that will help new poets/ members become more familiar with how our site works, the ins and the outs so to say and any tricks of the trade that you have learned that you would like to pass on to a new members or those having trouble getting their poetry read. Please this is not the forum to advertise your poetry, this is not the forum to get into personal discussions, and this is certainly not the forum to get into personal wars of any kind, slander, negativity, and malice will not be tolerated on this forum in any kind and your comments will be swiftly removed. Please always be respectful to others on this forum as it is meant as a way to help others of our ever expanding OP community as well as help ourselves gain more reviews, and to spread the joy and wealth of the site for all to enjoy.

This forum is just simply a way we can help others and in the end help ourselves. The more people understand about the site and how it all works the better it is for everyone, it will only spread positivity and help our community grow and prosper. I have noticed since I come here that there is a lot of negativity around the site about the contest and about other things, I think a lot of this stems from people’s ignorance of how the site really works and about how to get their poetry read. Many people that are new to the site come here and post a bunch of their poems, gain a couple of friends and then get frustrated because they get limited results. Some stick around long enough to learn the ins and outs of the site by trial and error, some just leave and never come back, and others get so frustrated and angry that they take it out on other members of the site. My hope is that this forum will help limit this frustration, as me and other experienced members of the site will post threads on how the site really works, how to get your poetry read, and the little tricks of the trade so to say that we have learned.

The initial threads for this forum will be as followed:

How to get your poetry read 101- this thread is very self explanatory, it will have a listing of the tricks of the trade that experienced members have learned through trial and error on how to get your poetry read and more visible in the OP community, nothing less and nothing more.

How to gain real friends 101- this thread will explain how to find friends of similar interest that you can relate to and most importantly, friends that will review your poetry. While it is easy to gain friends in your contact list, getting them to read your poetry is something else entirely.

How to review poetry 101- this thread will be for new poets and new members of the site that want info on how to review and rate poetry on this site.

How to become more visible in the OP community 101- this thread is for those who would like to know how to increase your visibility/ popularity on the site, in doing so you will get more comments and gain more friends. This site was not created as a popularity contest but the more visible you are in the community the more people will come and review your poetry.

How to increase your chances of winning the poetry contest 101- there is a lot of negativity on this point, many people think the contest is flawed, nothing but a big popularity contest, but there are ways you can increase your chances of winning. This thread will have advice from the poets that have won the contest in the past.

How to get your poetry published 101- this thread will be for those poets looking to be published and will have advice and information from experienced poets on the site that have been published in the past.

There will be more threads in the future but I think this is a good starting point and remember that any information posted under all the treads is all for three basic purposes, learn the ins and outs of the site, fill the need to get our poetry read, and gain feedback to grow as poets.

Please feel free to contact myself angel33614 at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/angel33614 or the God father of OP papapaczki at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/papapaczki or any member of the team if you have any further questions about the forum, one of the threads, general questions about OP, or any suggestions for future threads.

Here is s listing of the ins and outs of OP team members in no particular order:

Teardrops aka Marie at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/Teardrops

Atie at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/Artie

Ginga at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/ginga

Malificent aka Mal at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/Maleficent

Knight at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/knight4696

Rygar at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/Rygar

Wordslinger at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/WordSlinger

Madelynn aka Maddi at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/Madelynn

Kah at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/kah

Dahlusion aka Dah at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/dahlusion

Rymer at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/Rhymer

Cheronold aka Cher at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/cheronld

Gogant at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/gogant

Aria at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/Aria

Chaos at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/Chaos128

ApaqRasgirl aka Asha at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/ApaqRasgirl

Supence aka Spence at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/SuSpence

Charlie23 at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/Charlie23

Ianscott at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/ianscott

Cousinsoren aka Cousin at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/cousinsoren

Dano at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/Dano

Sammia at http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/sammia

Purity of the soul, journey well to all!!! With grace and humility ANGEL aka The Poem Buster

For all those who really want to learn and not just complain give this a try and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

Last edited by angel33614 12-12-2010 at 03:41:59 AM

Poetry is what is lost in translation.

Robert Frost (1875-1963) American Poet.