Original Poetry Forums

Getting Discouraged with OP

11-15-2010 at 08:50:13 PM

Getting Discouraged with OP

I really like this site because of the freedom to express with no silly rules governing your posted work. However, I am getting discouraged... I have read many people's poems and posted comments for the ones I really like. I have participated in the contest, posted on the forums, submitted poems on the Picture Poetry thread, and tried to become fairly active on the site. I'm just not getting much of anything in return. Rarely does anyone even read my work or post a comment. I have submitted 15 poems over the last month and have a total of 12 comments for the whole month. Many of you have 12 comments on each poem you post. Of course we all have our likes and dislikes and I have seen some really good work here at OP. Have been very impressed with some of the talent. I have also seen some real train wrecks that ramble on, make no sense, have many grammatical and punctuation errors and have little if any poetic value. Amazingly, some of these train wrecks get 15 glowing comments all saying what a great piece of work they are! smile I joined for the purpose of interaction, feedback, and the opportunity to read other people's work. If you look at the new poems posted right now, there are only 5 comments showing for the first !0 pages of poems. That is very disappointing for the writers who worked hard creating their poem. I say, "Rise up OP people and get involved!" or you will lose many new poets with great things to offer.hmmmhmmm

11-15-2010 at 10:30:47 PM

RE: Getting Discouraged with OP

Hang in there new OP member JulieAnne! A list is being prepared relating many of OP's inner circle of poet friends whom usually return comments without being asked.

OP poets, stand up and show your support for our new members! Keep OP going strong!

StandingBear zipper

Last edited by StandingBear 11-15-2010 at 10:34:58 PM

11-15-2010 at 11:22:22 PM

Hey Julie Ann,

I am new, but I hear your discouragement and agree with your thoughts. Sometimes in poetry circles, anything goes, in the way that people are allowed to express themselves. Of course, to those of us who enjoy the art of crafting a good poem and turning good phrases, we enjoy receiving appropriate kudos for what we turn out. Sometimes I have felt the same yet I kept on writing poetry for the sake of writing poetry. It is the consistency of performing our art whether anyone notices or not which get us noticed. The are different education and language levels of poetry appreciation that one writes to in a virtual audience. Consider all these things and don't get discouraged. There are people out there that will appreciate what you have to offer. We all learn from each other. Sometimes in the simplest of poems I have found things that often spoke to my heart even though the piece was lacking punctuation, spelling, and other things, grammatical.

January Keck--Writer

11-15-2010 at 11:28:31 PM
  • CaliBluE
  • CaliBluE

it is for this reason...that i am leaving OP,
i know that i write well....but it is getting more and more rare that comments are given or that pieces are getting read here.
my other sites are more productive than this site.
i have been here for a long time and things have not changed.
to you i wish good luck.
me...i am finally done.
i have asked for my account to be deleted.

11-15-2010 at 11:51:26 PM

My following statement may be considered vulgar by some. So, if you find yourself easily offended I suggest you ignore this.

A lot of people on this site go to each other's pages and just jerk each other off. Providing no insight...and barely giving the author the impression that they even read the piece. You shouldn't care how many comments you get. Quality over quantity. I've been on this site for a while... and though I love it...and my O.P. family. I don't come here expecting constructional criticism from the masses. This is simply a place to share your wares. And I love it for that reason. I don't mean to bash you. Just continue writing for yourself. And if by chance someone comes along...and truly understands what you were trying to portray. Well...call that person friend...and give yourself a pat on your big poet back.

Cheers,

Hip

11-15-2010 at 11:53:23 PM
  • CaliBluE
  • CaliBluE

but that is the point.
i have stayed...i have tried and nothing works.
i see the same people get kudos time and time again.
i see poets not so gifted get printed in a book...which holds almost the same people over and over.
inner circle? it has become obvious with time that the inner circle holds much power. i am not into it...i would prefer to see many recognized not just a chosen few.
today...i have 200 hits on one of my pages-TODAY- outside of here. plus comments. here...lol...it is difficult.

anyway..i stand with poets and with writers but this site has been a disappointment to me. i know others as well.

Last edited by CaliBluE 11-15-2010 at 11:54:09 PM

11-16-2010 at 01:47:10 AM

Thank you Standing Bear for listening and your support. Sometimes we all get complacent and need somebody to shake things up....tonight I got to be the shaker .LOL
To WordSlinger re "Ask not what your website can do for you..." I hope I didn't come across like I expected anything... As a person who enjoys writing, sharing with other people, and reading other people's expression, finding a site where you can do that with people who seem to be on a similar wavelength was a very pleasant surprise. I would just like to be more a part of all that. Sorry it's this A personality thing.(mixing with my inner child)..I've always been a ringleader, in the middle of everything, and if there's an inner circle, by god, I want to be in it!! wink
Seriously your willingness to share the list of friends and encourage people to get more involved is more than I could ask for and I feel better already!

Julieannetx

11-16-2010 at 01:54:28 AM

Wordslinger, I don't know why you are being so mean...I'm not going anywhere, I just expressed an opinion.

11-16-2010 at 02:55:40 AM

I agree with you JulieAnn but i guess you should comment consistently to other people's work not just one poem but lots of poem and you'll see they will make comments on your poems in return,,,if this doesn't work then ask them..give personal message to them to "please read this one" like that...I have a friend here whose poem is superior than mine but doesn't get any remarks save my comments...I introduce him to this site and now he seems cold to me just because of that...he doesn't seemed to know that you have to be active to gain lots of comments....^_^ v

11-16-2010 at 03:48:05 AM

nice analogy john...lol....in the first place we can't blame OP...we are responsible for our own destiny,,,,OP is just a system and each system has its own flaws...it's just up to that individual how to fill the gap....^_^ vgrinwinkred faceoh ohgrinLOL

11-16-2010 at 04:10:58 AM

Hello All Fellow Poets - Reading this forum, I would like to offer my humble insight. While I understand the sentiments regarding the original posts; I wish to offer a little encouragement. First, I love this site; I'm grateful for all that it has to offer; an opportunity to read some of the most soulful rich poetry; on various topics; invoking an array of feelings and views. I have enjoyed the poems of OP, read many many poems, before I ever posted a poem. When I decided to post a poem, I did without any expectations, I did so because it was a cathartic forum for me; if someone found pleasure, wisdom, my poetry resonated with another poet, I considered it an extra bonus, I still do.

I'm light years away from being a skilled poet; I'm grateful this site has provided me an opportunity to learn and grow in the skill of writing poetry; I do contend that one of the best ways to accomplish that goal is to read others poetry. Too reading poetry if I never write an award winning poem; that makes others take notice; it's OK with me; I'm still left the richer for others have shared their light, beauty, humor, insights and wisdom with me, etc, to read...without a fee.

In the past, I have taken a writing class at the university, when I was majoring in science, so it wasn't a requirement; I decided to do so because of my love and appreciation for the art. The cost of that class was $1,200.00.; it was worth it. However I must say, I have gotten more out of OP...and it hasn't cost me a dime. I appreciate what OP has to offer; and I do agree with JohnE...so I feel a moral obligation to give back. How do I do that? Well, I for one, when I read a poem, I don't just skim over it; I feel it's disrespectful to the poet; I take time to cogitate about the message, style and creativity and 99% of the time leave a comment. At times if I have a comment, or a critique in a way of a suggestion; with respect for the poet/person...I send it privately in a pm...another thing I like about OP; it provides us with that opportunity.

I feel that all poetry has something to offer; even those who haven't honed the skill, or may write a poem or poetry with grammatical errors, etc...within the poem, there still could be an amazing message. Perhaps, someone reaching out; Hence a little over a week ago someone wrote a poem about contemplating suicide; I was concerned; the poets desperation served as motivation for me to write a poem; my hope it would help temper another human beings feelings and reconsider their options. It was a way for me to give back, within my limited skills, I sincerely hope what I wrote was helpful.

I'm too am grateful that I have met many friends on the OP site. I contend the best way to meet friends is to become a friend. How does one accomplish finding poet friends? Depending on my mood, I surf the site, if I'm in the mood for humor, love, melancholy...up pops numerous poems from varies poets...I click on a poem...and often I have from a friend; why? Because someone has written a poem that has fulfilled my particular desire at the time...anytime of the day or night...and that's awesome. If their work-style/skill resonates with me; I follow their work and let them know; I appreciate their art and thank them for their gift...of insight, laughter, wisdom...whatever it is I was in need of at the time...and that's just grand.

Julieannetz I'm sorry your discouraged! I hope I can offer you some encouragement; I look forward to visiting your poetic home and invite my friends to do the same/

JohnE I really enjoyed your Forum poem and too thanks for the video, love Mayer...Say What You Mean to Say...LOL

Too all fellow poets, and to OP thanks!

Peace, Light and Love

Cheers,
Kanicki
grinsmilewink

11-16-2010 at 04:17:43 AM

LOL, BTW, please excuse the errors, typos, I type fast...so just read my heart and sentiments if you have any questions...LOL

11-16-2010 at 11:06:19 AM

I have been a member of OP for two years and I can honestly say that if the site is not working for you then you are not working for the site. One can not expect to have dozens of comments on a poem with only 13 friends. One must work hard and diligently to make an impression here, and this type of focused work pays off.

There are small press publishers on OP looking for poets to publish—I know this as fact as I have been picked up from this site for publishing by Stillpoint Press, who has published my first book: IN FORBIDDEN LANGUAGE, now available through our printer, www.lulu.com.

I have been on several poetry sites and this is the one that offers the possibility of publication in an anthology and with outside publishers looking for poets.

If you want more comments on a particular poem, then spend the time needed to make your friends aware of this.

There are close to 50 thousand poets on this site, so one has to do more than post a poem to get noticed. It's arrogant to think that all one has to do is post a poem and all of OP will respond. Doesn't work this way, that is, until you are established, then your "fans" are looking for new poems from you, and you still have to work to get the numbers up.

Peace and Light,
dah

kiss

11-16-2010 at 11:27:51 AM

Dah, have you ever heard of the game where some one hides something, and you have to look for it, and as you look, they say, no you're cold, and you look, and they say warm, and you look, and they say hot, and you say ah, and you look again, and they say hotter/steaming--- burning, what you said about the site, and book, and publisher's is hot, and you sure, are very close to what I said the answer is right in front of us, so damm hot, reminds me of

11-16-2010 at 11:45:27 AM

RE: RE: Getting Discouraged with OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSlinger

Dah, have you ever heard of the game where some one hides something, and you have to look for it, and as you look, they say, no you're cold, and you look, and they say warm, and you look, and they say hot, and you say ah, and you look again, and they say hotter/steaming--- burning, what you said about the site, and book, and publisher's is hot, and you sure, are very close to what I said the answer is right in front of us, so damm hot, reminds me of

John,

Thank you, and I am only speaking truth: Life is what's happening to others while you sit around and watch—John Lennon.

11-16-2010 at 11:47:35 AM

lol, OP is better than any show, well CSI rocks, lol

11-16-2010 at 11:54:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSlinger

lol, OP is better than any show, well CSI rocks, lol

My T.V. Forensic choice is NCIS—love the added humor and the soundtrack.

and this site is "the real thing".

11-16-2010 at 02:25:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieannetx

Thank you Standing Bear for listening and your support. Sometimes we all get complacent and need somebody to shake things up....tonight I got to be the shaker .LOL
To WordSlinger re "Ask not what your website can do for you..." I hope I didn't come across like I expected anything... As a person who enjoys writing, sharing with other people, and reading other people's expression, finding a site where you can do that with people who seem to be on a similar wavelength was a very pleasant surprise. I would just like to be more a part of all that. Sorry it's this A personality thing.(mixing with my inner child)..I've always been a ringleader, in the middle of everything, and if there's an inner circle, by god, I want to be in it!! wink
Seriously your willingness to share the list of friends and encourage people to get more involved is more than I could ask for and I feel better already!

Julieannetx

Julie, I just read all of these posts- and what I can say to you is- first Im sorry. Im sorry if you have ever read me, and I didnt visit your page. I dont mean to be self-consumed, but I just have so many things going ALL the time, and poor health.. so I dont usually evevn get on here til after midnight. Also, I know how painful it can feel being leftout of a social net, and how unfair. Remember, this is not a matter of 'mean-ness', you have the same opportunity here, we all started with, and you really have to 'get involved'! Not once in a blue moon, but consitantly. Remember diligence pays off- and the fact that you came on the public forum, with a touchy, fingure pointing subject, means.. you have the kind of strong, out-spoken written voice, that I know- I freakin' love in a person! Julie, as far as Im concerned their is no circles, just people on here who think of poetry as a hobby- and people on here that LIVE to write! If pencil-lead is what pulses thro' your veins, and you dream in ink- then honey.. take my hand, and you can walk right into the middle of my circle of writers with me! ps- ill check out your work today!!, and Julie, if Im responsible for making you feel ostacized, then please forgive me, truely I am sorry.. now get out there and mingle!! LOL
~Madelynntongue wink

11-16-2010 at 03:54:40 PM

i have been a member of op for quite along time now... i have obsvered alot of things since joining... one thing that stays contant is that people will respond to you if you respond to them... you have to be proactive with you work... also there are alot of people here that are absent from thier pages... i have alot of friends that i havent seen any activity out of for a very long time... i am not sure of they have abandoned thier pages or what but a good half of my friends never have anything new posted... so even having a big friends list does not mean you are going to get alot of comments...

when i first joined i wasent sure how this worked and i got quite frustrated with posting and not ever getting comments... take a look at my early work there are some poems that have no comments on them and quite a few that have just 1, 2 or 3 comments on them... my poems started getting more attention when i started paying more attention to the other poets... you have to be active and with that being said i am a hypocrite... i go through spells of being withdrawn from op and even my own poetry... i visit op and observe but i am not always active... for this i extend an appology to all my friends... my emotions get the better of me often (just read my work and you will see) and unfortunatly i become an observer in my own life... someone mentioned earlier that you have to be here all of the time... interact with your friends and the site all of the time and that is completly true... this is totally an interactive site... the best of poetry and social networking all wrapped up as one... alot of the poets here have alot of friends and they are terribly busy trying to keep up with new poems... new forum posts and even thier own book projects... you have to make them aware of your work... if you are pround of it boast it... the forum read my poetry is a good way to do that...

patience... have patience and work for op and op will work for you...

to my friends that are reading this i ask you to please have patients with me as well... i will be back to form

11-16-2010 at 04:21:07 PM

First and foremost, what I've described as an inner circle of poet friends simply relates an inner group of sorts. We're poets who've cultivated friendships through our poetry and we voluntarily comment back and forth on each other's work. We hold no special power of preference, only choice. We're the intimate cog of this wonderful OP dysfunctional family with several perfectionists thrown in for balance, writing, reading, commenting, and most important of all sharing amongst friends with no barriers. Any and everyone is invited and/or welcome to join, make friends, and share in this ever growing OP juggernaut, cutting edge poetry site. Simply put, OP is far and wide the best poetry site available to all poets! Through my own experience i've composed a list of active, participating poets whom usually return comments without having to be asked. There aren't any guarantees or promises a comment will be returned to an initiating commenter, only an observation of sorts. Usually if one of these listed poets doesn't return a comment, it's because they've a time consuming important matter they're tending to as we all have on occasion. Give them time, they'll come around! Anyone whom doesn't want their name on this list, please relate and they will be scratched from list if the edit option is accessible. Anyone whom would like to be added, feel free to add your pen name since there's no way possible I can list everyone. Thanks OP family poetesses, poets, members, new members, etc... Great writing, reading, commenting, sharing to all! At the very least, a highly potential new poetry friendship awaits us all!
*******************************************************************************************************************************
In no certain and/or preferential sequence, this poet list is randomly selected
*******************************************************************************************************************************
SaVvySam,Papapaczki, NativeAmeriGirl, Hampton, Aria, CousinOren, Tierra7,
CountryPoet, Charlie23, IanScott, WordSlinger, Ginga, Dahlusion,
GentleT, UnworthyFather, Cmlestrade, Artie, Cheronld, Merlyn, LunaMarie, Rsalassi, SpringSize, Bandit1192, Frog, Kmooney, JadedJezzabel, Stellar, RaggedyPoet,

RHPeat, Lesabug, Balladeer, MindNumbing, JLorian, Epiksonik, Kanicki,
EinStud, Shelly53, Chaos128, SarahRedHawk, ArgusWayne, DancingHawk,
ShadowWalker, Optimistic, Kah, Hiporlacking, JustStella, Ming, Worthless, Gogant, Outspoken, ApaqRasgirl, Angel33614, Earthly, Olan01, Regina2, LoneWolf, Wheelsal, Kdarcy, OrangePony, Laydbak1, Azzrella, Anaisnais, ArronPalmer, BlackButterfly1,

Sx9, ImStillHere, MalikPeterson, Londo, 2poemsforu, PoetsofBlood, Blackfootlady,
Stefy, WriterGenevieve, BadBadBear, (special mention) Aixa and Grito, JadeMelissa74, Knight4696, DestinedQueen, BdiSernhagen, JulieAnnetx
Enjoy life, poetry, and friends!
StandingBear zipper

Last edited by StandingBear 11-16-2010 at 10:46:31 PM

11-16-2010 at 04:25:26 PM

Standing Bear,M.- Man, this is getting outta hand, buddy I love ya, but man.. I'm gonna have to ask that you take me off that list. I am not a gal who contorts to social groups/ or cliques. I hardly comment on anyone anymore- because I am so MIA lately- that its bull shit, Im even being listed.(but thanx for thinking of me)-. I really want no part of this 'grouping circle' nonsense. I am signed on at OP, for about couple years now- because I love poetry, I love people, and I want an outlet from the real-world wolves, from time to time. Writing isnt something I do- it's who I am, as much a part of my identity, as my baby hidden birthmark! lol, This list ONLY establishes cliques in my opion, I think it's cool your standing up for someone who feels left out- but dang M.- a list! That is just so... IRS... of you. Here's where I stand on this deal... a girl came on here, feeling ignored- I felt ignored when I first got here too- You and Dah were my first friends, and you guys found me, and welcomed me- as you would her- the rest of my friends and comments came from applying myself- writing kick ass work, that I revise 50times b'fore I post- to grab y'all up, and take you on my mind walk with me!- and treating everybody with equal measure (note; I dont care what ANYONE says- no human being on the planet wants a freakin 8-as a critique, and no one with self-respect welcomes public critiquing on their page or the forum!,- it's a shitty thing to do to someone- when a PM button is available!) Bottom line for me is this- I am not a 'list kinda gal'- and I think it's impossible to really appreciate ART- when the artists are being numbered- or watched for social stature!!- I AM HERE FOR ART- As I would DIE for ART- weather that means two reads, or two-hundred, who gives a shit- dang people- isnt there a better way to feed your egos- get over it...(but I say that with love, I do-)
rolleyesMaddi

11-16-2010 at 04:31:41 PM

i might have to agree with maddi to a certain extent on this... social cliques are not what op is about... the ones mentioned are just friends that came together and inner circle implies that these people are in charge or running something... not the case... just simply active people with mutual friends...

11-16-2010 at 04:32:19 PM

PS- ps- lol... Dano, you are an amazing poet(beyond words), and a dedicated amazing friend(beyond..) and so is Mindnumbing, who I admire and adore full freakin' heartedly!- That said- Dano.. take whatever time you need when you need- I (we) will never nix ya.. because your MIA- sometimes 'life gets in the way,man- and we the 'intense ones' have to suffer 4 it- we'll be here, whenever you are.
-Peace!!
Maddi & John E.

11-16-2010 at 06:32:24 PM

Ball of Confusion

Knowing better, I went forward
Let emotion take over my thoughts
Not anticipating the strong reaction
Nor such variety of points of view
Touched by the genuine concern
Excited by signs of acceptance
Stung by innuendos of arrogance
Chastised for wanting more
Sternly reminded of purpose
Yet, encouraged to not give up
Admonished for lack of participation
Advised perhaps I should give more
An innocent gesture or offering
Suggesting some good friends to have
Left some people feeling exploited
Requesting to just let them be
Now feeling guilty for feeling rejected
Almost childish for desiring response
Yet others had similar feelings
So now I’m just totally lost.
So I think I’ll go back to the beginning
And do what I like to do most
Write poetry.

11-16-2010 at 06:40:00 PM

RE: Getting Discouraged with OP/ COUSINSOREN"S REPLY TO JULIE

]A LETTER TO JULiE[/b]

Dear Julie,
The OP site is a wonderful place to be., In time, if you persist, you will find it so. I have been here for some time now, and I am never discouraged, whether my poetry is read or not. Occasionaly, I ask through Private Message ( PM) for fellow poets to read a poem that I dearly want them to read. I suggest that you make use of this facility,.

Please don't permit yourself to be discouraged. You are doing the correct thing. When you are dis-satisfied , speak up. voice your complaint. On the OP site , your complaint will be heard. See how many responses are there on the Forums, since you expressed your dis-affection?

Buzzworthy is becoming a good thread to bring attention to poets who seem to be ignored. Some poets are really trying to remedy the deficit.
******************************************************************************************************

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieannetx

I really like this site because of the freedom to express with no silly rules governing your posted work. However, I am getting discouraged... I have read many people's poems and posted comments for the ones I really like. I have participated in the contest, posted on the forums, submitted poems on the Picture Poetry thread, and tried to become fairly active on the site. I'm just not getting much of anything in return. Rarely does anyone even read my work or post a comment. I have submitted 15 poems over the last month and have a total of 12 comments for the whole month. Many of you have 12 comments on each poem you post. Of course we all have our likes and dislikes and I have seen some really good work here at OP. Have been very impressed with some of the talent. I have also seen some real train wrecks that ramble on, make no sense, have many grammatical and punctuation errors and have little if any poetic value. Amazingly, some of these train wrecks get 15 glowing comments all saying what a great piece of work they are! smile I joined for the purpose of interaction, feedback, and the opportunity to read other people's work. If you look at the new poems posted right now, there are only 5 comments showing for the first !0 pages of poems. That is very disappointing for the writers who worked hard creating their poem. I say, "Rise up OP people and get involved!" or you will lose many new poets with great things to offer.hmmmhmmm

*******************************************************************************************************

[

Last edited by cousinsoren 11-16-2010 at 09:46:18 PM

Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words.

Robert Frost (1875-1963) American Poet.