A QUESTION OF PUNCTUATION
Post Reply Unsubscribe Page 1 of 1
.03-03-2010 at 04:53:38 PM

cousinsoren
RE: A QUESTION OF PUNCTUATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsoren

a

I do not know if unpunctuated poetry is a popularly accepted literary vogue in the United States of America. I will have to research the masters of American literature. But my humble judgement is that the cosmetics of many poems appearing on OP would improve immensely, if they were punctuated., After, all movements in Nature possess periods ,commas etc , to regulate their rhythm.

Some Feedback from OP members would be appreciated

03-04-2010 at 08:04:35 PM

RE: A QUESTION OF PUNCTUAION

Yeah Cousin, I think punctuation in poems makes it read better.......but I have
a hard time myself trying to decide on a comma or a semi-colon. The other
thing is spelling.........(notice how you misspelled punctuation).......I guess it
comes down to letting things like this pass with no criticisms.
What do you think ?

smile............................................gogant

03-04-2010 at 08:20:03 PM
  • kah
  • kah

I find it difficult to read through a poem with no punctuation or incorrect punctuation. Spelling errors also drive me nuts!! It's like a yield sign has been thrown into the poem. I stall, then stutter to a re-start.

Each author has an intended cadence to their work - how else to express that than proper punctuation!

I love the written language. It is part of what enables us to leave our mark in the world. I want my ideas to be clear to others. I want to be able to read and understand others' ideas clearly as well.

In the matter of proper punctuation and spelling, I vote yes!!!

tongue rolleye

03-04-2010 at 08:38:15 PM

Don mine speellin er pucteashon just nose I got to be myshelf an dats all dat madders who cares? whair the kestion mark or coma is a poit is free to be all he or she sea an we must lit dem beegrinLOLcheesebig surpriseshockcool smile

03-04-2010 at 09:23:26 PM
  • kah
  • kah

Marsink~!! LOL

LOL

03-04-2010 at 09:23:27 PM

RE: RE: A QUESTION OF PUNCTUAION

It just hit me Marck...am I misspelling your name, or are you ?
cool cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsink

Don mine speellin er pucteashon just nose I got to be myshelf an dats all dat madders who cares? whair the kestion mark or coma is a poit is free to be all he or she sea an we must lit dem beegrinLOLcheesebig surpriseshockcool smile

03-04-2010 at 09:30:21 PM

I do know that when I am reading someone's poem, and they use there
instead of their, it takes something away from the poem. I don't get too
excited about punctuations, though.
And Marck...I hope you aren't thinking about building an ark.......................... shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah

I find it difficult to read through a poem with no punctuation or incorrect punctuation. Spelling errors also drive me nuts!! It's like a yield sign has been thrown into the poem. I stall, then stutter to a re-start.

Each author has an intended cadence to their work - how else to express that than proper punctuation!
I love the written language. It is part of what enables us to leave our mark in the world. I want my ideas to be clear to others. I want to be able to read and understand others' ideas clearly as well.

In the matter of proper punctuation and spelling, I vote yes!!!

tongue rolleye

03-04-2010 at 09:51:38 PM

i think they're highly important ... all the rules ... grammar, punctuation, spelling ... for clarity and tone ... and for posterity ...

knowing the rules makes it easier to break the rules with impact

and writing with clarity makes it easier on readers, now and into the future

however ... for part-time writers writing on their own recognizance ... i would rather have someone post something that wasn't quite right than not post anything at all ...

and there are definitely people with great ideas who can't spell, and great spellers who don't know anything about rhythm or metaphor ...

i'm sure there are areas of growth for us all ...

as for punctuation specifically, i agree, gogant, it's difficult to do well ... and cousinsoren ... tho i'm a fan of minimalism ... i agree that ditching it completely is a little over the top ... i think a third of our language is communicated thru punctuation! "no punctuation" is a style i admire, but would not recommend for all of one's work. have you ever tried to read Old English from before there were periods in the type set? it's a cluster.

one of my favorite grammar books is "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" ... making the point with its title that there is a BIG difference between the panda who "Eats Shoots & Leaves" and "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" ... lol ... just a comma difference, and we've turned nouns into verbs, and vegetarians into killers!

anyway ... i'm super rambling now ... but ... great discussion topic! thx!

cool cheese

Last edited by dancinghawk 03-04-2010 at 09:59:48 PM

03-04-2010 at 10:01:35 PM

Never thought of building one myself, but, in the Netherlands, a guy decided to build a replica that is one fifth the volume capacity, and it's huge.

03-04-2010 at 10:35:13 PM

I read that article and it said he built it to the exact scale as was dictated
by God to Noah. I still wonder how Noah got a pair of Tyrannosaurus Rexes on it..................g

shock

Quote:

Never thought of building one myself, but, in the Netherlands, a guy decided to build a replica that is one fifth the volume capacity, and it's huge.

03-04-2010 at 10:40:48 PM

Here's something, Dancer.....this will probably bring the house down on me, but I have to ask....When you are reading a poem, with all kinds of misspellings and wrong word usages, does it seem as though the composer isn't too intelligent to you ?

cool hmm

03-05-2010 at 02:55:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinghawk

i think they're highly important ... all the rules ... grammar, punctuation, spelling ... for clarity and tone ... and for posterity ...

knowing the rules makes it easier to break the rules with impact

and writing with clarity makes it easier on readers, now and into the future

however ... for part-time writers writing on their own recognizance ... i would rather have someone post something that wasn't quite right than not post anything at all ...

and there are definitely people with great ideas who can't spell, and great spellers who don't know anything about rhythm or metaphor ...

i'm sure there are areas of growth for us all ...

as for punctuation specifically, i agree, gogant, it's difficult to do well ... and cousinsoren ... tho i'm a fan of minimalism ... i agree that ditching it completely is a little over the top ... i think a third of our language is communicated thru punctuation! "no punctuation" is a style i admire, but would not recommend for all of one's work. have you ever tried to read Old English from before there were periods in the type set? it's a cluster.

one of my favorite grammar books is "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" ... making the point with its title that there is a BIG difference between the panda who "Eats Shoots & Leaves" and "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" ... lol ... just a comma difference, and we've turned nouns into verbs, and vegetarians into killers!

anyway ... i'm super rambling now ... but ... great discussion topic! thx!

cool cheese
shut eye

I love that "bloomer bomb" you cited from your favourite Grammar Book.....LOL

I mis-spelled "PUNCTUATION" deliberately to see how many OP friends would react. Only gogant has reacted up to now. Is this an indication that on our OP site and in our Anthologies the discipline of spelling and pundtuation does not matter? I do not speak for grammar, as there is "poetic license" which must be used guardedly and very comservatively.

Last edited by cousinsoren 03-05-2010 at 03:48:58 AM

03-05-2010 at 02:58:51 AM

Quote:

Never thought of building one myself, but, in the Netherlands, a guy decided to build a replica that is on

LOL 1

I mis-spelled "PUNCTUATION" deliberately to see how many OP friends would react. Only gogant has reacted up to now. Is this an indication that on our OP site and in our Anthologies the discipline of spelling and pundtuation does not matter? I do not speak for grammar, as there is "poetic license" which must be used guardedly and very comservatively.

Last edited by cousinsoren 03-05-2010 at 03:50:33 AM

03-05-2010 at 03:05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogant

thing is spelling.........(notice how you misspelled punctuation).......I guess it
What do you think ?

LOL

I mis-spelled "PUNCTUATION" deliberately to see how many OP friends would react. Only you, gogant, has reacted up to now. Is this an indication that on our OP site, and in our Anthologies, the discipline of spelling and pundtuation does not matter? I do not speak for grammar, as there is "poetic license" which must be used guardedly and very comservatively.

Last edited by cousinsoren 03-05-2010 at 03:09:14 AM

03-05-2010 at 03:11:37 AM

RE: RE: RE: A QUESTION OF PUNCTUAION

Quote:

Here's something, Dancer.....this will probably bring the house down on me, but I have to ask....When you are reading a poem, with all kinds of misspellings and wrong word usages, does it seem as though the composer isn't too intelligent to you ?

cool hmm
\

LOL

I mis-spelled "PUNCTUATION" deliberately to see how many OP friends would react. Only gogant and then you , have reacted up to now. Is this an indication that on our OP site and in our Anthologies the discipline of spelling and pundtuation does not matter? I do not speak for grammar, as there is "poetic license" which must be used guardedly and very comservatively.

03-05-2010 at 03:15:07 AM

Quote:

What do you think ?

LOL!

I mis-spelled "PUNCTUATION" deliberately to see how many OP friends would react. Only gogant has reacted up to now. Is this an indication that on our OP site and in our Anthologies the discipline of spelling and punctuation does not matter? I do not speak for grammar, as there is "poetic license" which must be used guardedly and very comservatively.

Last edited by cousinsoren 03-05-2010 at 03:43:26 AM

03-05-2010 at 03:33:04 AM

Quote:

What do you think ?

LOL!

I mis-spelled "PUNCTUATION" deliberately to see how many OP friends would react. Only you,gogant, has reacted up to now. Is this an indication that on our OP site and in our Anthologies the discipline of spelling and punctuation does not matter? I do not speak for grammar, as there is "poetic license" which must be used guardedly and very conservatively.

03-05-2010 at 03:33:04 AM

Quote:

What do you think ?

LOL!

I mis-spelled "PUNCTUATION" deliberately to see how many OP friends would react. Only you,gogant, has reacted up to now. Is this an indication that on our OP site and in our Anthologies the discipline of spelling and punctuation does not matter? I do not speak for grammar, as there is "poetic license" which must be used guardedly and very conservatively.

03-05-2010 at 03:40:48 AM

RE: RE: RE: A QUESTION OF PUNCTUAION

Quote:

What do you think ?

LOL!

I, too, have problems when and where and what kind of punctuation sign I ought to use at a particular point in a piece of writing. I, howevr, have no difficulrty inserting periods correctly, and as a rule.

03-05-2010 at 06:22:52 AM
  • kah
  • kah

Dtd yeu konw its bean porven taht yeu olny neid to hvae the frist amd lsat leetrts of a wrod corerct amd oer barins wlil raed it coctrerly?

gulpLOL

03-05-2010 at 07:28:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah

Dtd yeu konw its bean porven taht yeu olny neid to hvae the frist amd lsat leetrts of a wrod corerct amd oer barins wlil raed it coctrerly?

gulpLOL

LISTEN to me, kah,
You have caused me to split my sides. I gonna sen yuh da dam dccta bill.
At least , it ought to be imperative to insert the period ,at all times, where it makes sense, in order to avert confusion of interpretation which happens often when the insertion of at least a period is ignored.

03-05-2010 at 07:32:31 PM
  • kah
  • kah

Haha!! Gotcha, cousinsoren!!

Ahh, I love wordplay!! Yabba dabba doo!!

LOL

03-05-2010 at 07:56:10 PM

Puncture History

lol, this si a trip, here, lol, hey I need you and your humor, on the historychannel website, you want more reads, well come, Gogant, you are a funny man, I'm sure the historychannel would love you, come we need more power,

Please visit the website, read, and speak your mind.
This is your history to be made, now..
WS

http://community.history.com/topic/363

03-05-2010 at 09:45:40 PM

RE: Puncture History

Well, Word, I guess I will have to go check out this site...you are persisitant, for sure.
And Cousin, quit using my signature !!!
shock......................................gogant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSlinger

lol, this si a trip, here, lol, hey I need you and your humor, on the historychannel website, you want more reads, well come, Gogant, you are a funny man, I'm sure the historychannel would love you, come we need more power,

Please visit the website, read, and speak your mind.
This is your history to be made, now..
WS

http://community.history.com/topic/363

03-06-2010 at 05:19:08 AM

Quote:

comes down to letting things like this pass with no criticism,
What do you think;

George, I am thiinking the same as you.
LO

I mis-spelled "PUNCTUATION" deliberately to see how many OP friends would react. Only you, gogant, has reacted up to now. Is this an indication that on our OP site, and in our Anthologies, the discipline of spelling and pundtuation does not matter? I do not speak for grammar, as there is "poetic license" which must be used guardedly and very comservativelyticisms.
What do you think ?

To have great poets there must be great audiences too.

Walt Whitman, American Poet (1819-1892)