Original Poetry Forums

www.washingtonredskinsteamonline.com

02-22-2019 at 09:01:35 PM

www.washingtonredskinsteamonline.com

ARLINGTON Washington Redskins Hoodie , Texas (AP) — Colt McCoy still hasn't had a single rep in practice with Washington's first-team offense this season. That will finally come after his first NFL start in nearly four years.After Alex Smith's gruesome leg injury only four days earlier, and a short week to prepare for a Thanksgiving Day game in his home state, McCoy threw for 268 yards and two touchdowns Thursday. But he also tossed three interceptions in a 31-23 loss at Dallas that let the Cowboys tie the Redskins for the NFC East lead."Just sort of a freak week, with that happening to Alex, short week, on the road, Texas, where I played college ball," McCoy said. "There were some emotions, but I just did my best to tune those out and played ball. Ultimately, I made some mistakes I wish I had back." The Redskins (6-5) had a 13-10 lead after McCoy threw his second TD pass, a 10-yarder to Trey Quinn in the third quarter.But that lead was gone after Dak Prescott's touchdown passes of 40 and 90 yards to Amari Cooper in a span of less than five minutes later in the period.Weeks before his previous start in December 2014, McCoy's last NFL victory came in another road game against the Cowboys — a 20-17 overtime win on Oct. 27, 2014, when he was 25-of-30 passing for 299 yards. In his only other previous game at AT&T Stadium, McCoy was the quarterback for Texas in a win over Nebraska in the 2009 Big 12 championship game."He still has not had one rep in practice with the first team," Redskins coach Jay Gruden said. "All that being said, he made some poor decisions obviously. But he made some incredible plays, some incredible throws I think we can build off."The Redskins and McCoy have some extra time to get ready for their next game Customized Washington Redskins Jerseys , a week from Monday at Philadelphia."I think it'll help. I think it'll help me, but I think it will help everybody," McCoy said.Now in his fifth season as Washington's backup quarterback, McCoy had only appeared in four games for the Redskins before Thursday. That included replacing Smith in the third quarter of Sunday's 23-21 loss to Houston. A potential winning drive stalled near midfield, and Dustin Hopkins‘ 63-yard field goal try fell short with 3 seconds left.McCoy looked as if he hadn't started a game in a long time early against the Cowboys, throwing into double coverage on his first play. He fumbled while trying to scramble on his third, but Washington recovered.But McCoy settled in with a couple of third-down passes to Jordan Reed to keep drives going, then hit Vernon Davis in stride on a 53-yard touchdown — the longest Washington completion of the season — for a 7-7 tie."I felt like he did a great job," Redskins running back Adrian Peterson said. "We didn't have any live action this week in practice, so for him to come out and perform the way that he performed, I tip my hat off to him."Gruden said the Redskins didn't have to change how they called plays and should be better with the upcoming practice — and McCoy getting first-team snaps in practice for the first time since summer workouts."Colt pretty much handled all the formations, all the tempos, all the run checks," Gruden said. "I don't think there were any problem areas with communication." The Redskins will owe Brandon Scherff $12.5m in 2019, with every dollar of that salary being charged to the salary cap.This is true every year for every former first round draft pick who is playing on his 5th year option.This also means that there is no dead cap hit if the team decides to cut the player, as the Redskins did with RG3 in 2016.Let’s be clear about one thing - Brandon Scherff is one of the best players on the Redskins team.He should be extended — not because it will provide salary cap benefit — but because it is the right thing to do.Personally, I count the beginning of the end of the Redskins playoff-bound 2018 season, not from when Alex Smith was so dramatically injured in Week 11, but from when Scherff’s season came to an end in Week 10.That was when the Redskins offensive line was so weakened that the team was no longer able to execute its offensive game plan.Yes... the Redskins right guard is that important to the team.It was a no-brainer to give Trent Williams a 5-year www.authenticswashingtonredskins.com , $66m extension in 2015, six years after the Redskins had drafted him, and it should now be a similarly simple decision for the Redskins to extend Scherff on a similarly lucrative contract.It’s the right thing to do.It’s also the smart thing to do from a salary cap standpoint, and some time between now and March 13th, the Redskins should finalize a contract extension with Brandon Scherff.For a year or two, it’s been common for comments to appear in threads saying that the team needed to keep an eye on the cap space for the purpose of extending Scherff, Crowder and/or Preston Smith when the 2018 season came to an end.We’ve gotten so used to the idea being repeated in the comments section that many people have lost sight of the fact that the 2019 salary cap situation is different for Scherff than it is for the other two because the Redskins have already exercised the 5th year option that came with his status as a first-round draft pick.People still think in terms of a contract extension for Scherff eating into the Redskins salary cap.On the contrary, an extension for Scherff will reduce the 2019 salary cap and increase the available cap space for the franchise.In the cases of the slot receiver (Crowder) and the outside linebacker (Smith), extensions will certainly cut into the Redskins’ already limited cap space, but extending Brandon Scherff won’t put pressure on Washington’s 2019 cap space. In fact, through the magic of accrual accounting, the extension will change the distribution of Scherff’s cap charges, and actually give the Redskins more money to spend on other players, not less, if that’s what they want.The “extension” of Scherff’s contract will, in effect, involve the ‘tearing up’ of his current 1-year, $12.5m deal, and replacing it with a long-term agreement that will redistribute his money and cap charges.It’s always hard to project the exact effect of a contract on the salary cap without knowing the structure of the deal.The only way to reasonably project the salary cap impact is to make an educated guess as to what the new contract will look like Washington Redskins T-Shirt , year-by-year, in order to assess its overall cap hit, and — most importantly to the Redskins — the immediate impact on the cap in 2019 and 2020, when the team needs to negotiate the difficult salary cap situation created by the Alex Smith injury.I have found that it is often good to have a “proxy” contract to guide my thinking for the purposes of projecting what the Redskins are likely to do with any given contract.Eric Schaffer, who is responsible for negotiating Redskin player contracts and managing salary cap, follows patterns that do not often vary, although he has shown the ability to adapt to specific circumstances, as he did with the large Josh Norman contract that was structured to be molded around the franchise tag(s) of Kirk Cousins, and leave the Redskins with a tradeable commodity in the final two years of Norman’s contract.While contracts for guards have traditionally not been as rich as those of offensive tackles in the NFL, the guard market was reset last season, and the years that have passed since the Trent Williams extension was signed in 2015 have resulted in a situation where Trent’s 5-year, $66m contract provides very good approximate value for a Brandon Scherff extension, with the added advantage, for our purposes, of also providing a model for the structure of the contract itself.There’s every reason to believe that the Scherff 2019 contract extension will be similar in structure to the Trent Williams 2015 contract extension, but that it will be tailored to help the Redskins get past the unusual and specific cap and roster challenges they face as a result of the Alex Smith injury.First of all, let me clarify that — because Brandon Scherff is already signed to a contract in 2019 via the 5th-year option that exists under the current CBA (which did not exist when Trent was extended) — I’m talking about adding 5 years and $66m of new money to his current contract.The effect of this is that the contract that I am proposing for Brandon Scherff will equal his current deal + the proposed new money, resulting in a 6-year, $78.5m contract that will run from 2019 to 2024.Let’s look at the structure of the projected Scherff deal Washington Redskins Hats , with the cap hits from the 2015 Trent Williams extension laid in for reference.The Williams contract came with a $20m signing bonus on a $66m contract, meaning that TW received 30% of his contract money at signing, but the first two years of his contract had higher base salary numbers than I am proposing for Scherff and were fully guaranteed, meaning that he received 47% of his contract money (fully guaranteed) in the first two years.I have increased Scherff’s signing bonus to 38%, but reduced his base salary numbers in order to give the Redskins as much salary cap flexibility as is practical in ‘19 and ‘20.I am not addressing the structure of guarantees (beyond the signing bonus) in this model, since my purpose is simply to assess the salary cap impact of the extension.Overall, under this proposed structure, Scherff will receive 43% of his total contract money in the first two years.The slight differences between the Williams & Scherff deals are intended to work around the Alex Smith cap hits in 2019 & 2020.The immediate net effect of this contract extension in 2019 is to reduce Brandon Scherff’s cap hit from $12.5m to $8m, adding $4.5m to Washington’s available cap space.Based on salary cap projections from OverTheCap, this is what would happen to the Redskins available cap:To put a fine point on it, the Redskins do not need to cut, trade or restructure any other players to “make room” for Brandon Scherff’s extension.On the contrary, the extension itself should free up available cap space that can be used for signing other players to contracts in 2019.Not only is the extension the right move for the Redskins roster, it is also the right move for the Redskins salary cap.Signing Brandon Scherff to a multi-year extension in the coming weeks will have the effect of helping to solidify the Redskins offensive line for years to come, as well as increasing the Redskins available cap space in the season ahead.It’s the very definition of a no-brainer, win-win decision. Custom Cleveland Browns Jerseys

Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words.

Robert Frost (1875-1963) American Poet.