Original Poetry Forums

Confused about Different Types of Poetry...HELP!

11-18-2010 at 11:04:01 AM

Confused about Different Types of Poetry...HELP!

I have never studied poetry - but love writing it with my own style and ways. But I recently wrote a poem and began doing a little research to improve my writing and learn about other types of poetry. I would like to know, if anyone can tell me what "type" of poem I have written here: http://www.originalpoetry.com/his-boots-were-made-of-steel

Is this considered a certain type of poem? If so, what do you think? Thanks..and if you have any resources or reading recommendations that would be great - love to learn. thanks!smilesmile

11-18-2010 at 11:14:41 AM
  • Londo
  • Londo

RE: Confused about Different Types of Poetry...HELP!

Scroll down the list of forums and you shall find one called School of Poetry. There are some educated people here that can be of great assistance. They have good intensions, so when they give your poetry a critique, it is meant to be for the benefit of improvement, not to put you down. If you want to become a better poet, they may be able to help.
My best advice is this: Write for the pleasure of writing. Share it for the pleasure of others. - Londo

wink

11-18-2010 at 11:18:29 AM

Thanks Londo for the advice. I will post it there perhaps. I definitely just write for pleasure and if i get too caught up in the "types" of poetry, I will end up thinking too much and writing in a style that is not me. But i am curious, as I have been trying to learn a little bit about the types, on what type, if any, that one poem would be considered. Thanks for the advice!

11-18-2010 at 12:43:03 PM

Hi Gen, you don’t have to post your poem in the poetry school thread, it’s the lessons the teachers post there not the exercises the students write. Those are posted on our individual pages. What you might do is send a PM to the teachers RHPeat, Balladeer, ThoughtCaster and NevillePark and ask them to critique your poem. They usually are happy to help!

11-19-2010 at 09:15:01 PM

WriterG, be careful ... you are correct, or others are- write for fun first and foremost, sharing is a good thing for all ... but be you. I am growing to like sonnets, but I am not at a point where I desire to attempt one yet. Be well my friend, knowledge is a good thing kcool smile

11-27-2010 at 10:18:09 PM

Gen i personally dont have any limitations on what is "poetry". Just write, have fun with it. Try different structures, rhyme schemes, anything. Do what you wanna do. Sure, knowing whats what does help, but it doesnt make you the poet you are. ~Audrey

Poetry is not a turning loose of emotion, but an escape from emotion.

T. S. Eliot (1888-1965) American-English poet and playwright.