Original Poetry Forums

August Full Moon

07-24-2010 at 02:34:11 PM

August Full Moon

August Full Moon: I just got of off the phone with my publisher, Stillpoint Publishing, and the collection (my book) is nearly ready, unfortunately, and for valid reasons, Stillpoint missed the first publishing dead-line of July 25th. We are both such anal-perfectionists, and will not publish until everything is perfect. Hang tight, we are aiming for the August full moon week for a new release date. The title is under covers. Thank you for all of your emails asking for the book. I am honored

07-24-2010 at 02:40:43 PM

RE: August Full Moon

Hiya dah, can you tell me a little about your publishing company you use, as I am looking for one to publish my first fiction book, but have no idea who to choose, especially when money is tight, so I have been thinking about self-publishing, duno it that will work either. any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to reading your book when it comes out. congrats on your success.
love ashasmile

07-24-2010 at 03:00:17 PM

Yes, ok—Stillpoint Publishing publishes poetry and does not except unsolicited manuscripts. They knocked on my door after reading my poetry for a few months here on OP.

I have veered away from self-publishing [vanity press] for a few valid reasons: most bookstores will not carry self-published poetry books, and there are dozens of cash book awards available that self-published books are not eligible for, and, the book ends up on your bookshelf and maybe on the bookshelves of a few close friends, and some relatives, because they feel obligated to by it. I have seen this happen to several dozen of my writer friends over the past decade.

My manuscript that is being published by Stillpoint has been around for nearly ten years and with "dozens of rejections"—I say, self-publish if you are in dire need to see your work in book form—be patient and never let rejections stop you from believing in your work; there's always one publisher, somewhere down the road, who will believe in you. I now know this to be true.

I hope this helps and sheds light on to self-publish or not to self-publish.

And thank you for your support.

Peace and Light,
Dah

Last edited by dahlusion 07-25-2010 at 01:25:34 PM

07-24-2010 at 04:28:22 PM

Thank you so very much my friend for the sound advice, I will work hard to get my work recognized by a good publisher. So far I just have my poems on here but my book I have been working on, I have published/posted chapters of it on webook trying to get it noticed by a publisher who might be interested. My book is a fiction story about a girl who's father was murdered, brother banished and herself captured into slavery. It is called "Enslaved' "The Story Of Jen'. When I started it I was thinking on the lines of a short story but now it has grown beyond that. So far I have seventeen chapters and the ideas for more just keep flooding out. But dear friend I am by far no expert on writing, and I know there is still alot of editing and revising will need to be done, English was not my best subject........lol.....but I have not let that stop me for the ideas and words for the story as well as the poems I write are in my head, and I feel that one should not let the lack of knowledge on writing stop you from trying and working hard to succeed. This has been a big step for me as a good exercise for me learning how to read, write and talk again after a stroke a few years ago took all that away. I did at the time before the stroke have a college degree in computer programming, but that was stripped from my memory as well. I am thankful that I was able to relearn what I did. If you should care to have a peek at my book and let me know what you think, you can view it on my book site at http://enslaved.bondageradio.com and please don't let the url name scare you away, for it was a free site for me as it belongs to a friend..........lol......cant afford to pass up what I can get for free...lol
thanks for your advice again.
love asha

Poetry comes nearer to vital truth than history.

Plato (BC 427-BC 347) Greek philosopher.