Original Poetry Forums

Tips and Tricks for effective writing

01-11-2010 at 09:56:25 AM

Tips and Tricks for effective writing

If you have some ideas or experiences that will help other poets, please add it here.

cool smile

01-11-2010 at 10:02:47 AM

RE: Tips and Tricks for effective writing

When I was writing to girls overseas I had to overcome our cultural differences. One thing I learned from a fabulous girl was how to write to a girl. Yes, it appears to be different than writing to a guy.

Fact.
Emotion.
Benefit.

I was instructed to write a fact, then tell her how it made me feel, and how it made my life better or worse.

As you can see, I wouldn't write that way to a man per se.

When writing poetry, I follow those little simple words of wisdom:

Fact.
Emotion.
Benefit.

"The sky is blue
and it's driving me crazy.
To be stuck inside
is making life hazy."

EinStud
.cheese

01-13-2010 at 11:36:08 AM

Line Spacing Tip

Here is a line spacing tip (line breaks) you can use on some message boards so your words are not all lumped together in one large paragraph (it's difficult to explain the html tag because it will disappear, but still break your paragraphs up with line spaces).

When you want to break a line space to start a new paragraph (as I just did), you will need to type this "-br /-", but replace the dashes "-" with a "less than" symbol, and a "greater than" symbol. I have included a link to a photo to show what I mean.

Link:

http://sundayisfunday.blogspot.com/2010/01/here-is-html-line-break-tag-used-for.html

And when you do this twice in a row (2 times consecutively), you will get the paragraph break you need.

Peace Out, Your friend, EinStud

01-13-2010 at 06:07:24 PM

RE: RE: Tips and Tricks for effective writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by "EinStud"

When I was writing to girls overseas I had to overcome our cultural differences. One thing I learned from a fabulous girl was how to write to a girl. Yes, it appears to be different than writing to a guy.

Fact.
Emotion.
Benefit.

I was instructed to write a fact, then tell her how it made me feel, and how it made my life better or worse.

Fact.
Emotion.
Benefit.

"The sky is blue
To be stuck inside
is making life hazy."

Give me a bag and a stick,
I must climb to yon mountain top
To see ithe sky to stop
Just where the crows their wings do flick.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There is no limit to what yuo can do with rhyme and rhythm. A poet is inspied with freedom to write good or bad poetry.But please , do not write prose.and call it prosody.

EinStud
.cheese

01-17-2010 at 06:28:32 PM

RE: RE: RE: Tips and Tricks for effective writing

Thank You for the "heads up" on the word "prosody", cousinsoren. I learned something new. And for that, it has made a great day.

I enjoyed your small poem you inserted towards the end of the comment. You have a fabulous way with words... rather, an instictive way.

EinStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by "cousinsoren"

Originally Posted by "EinStud"

Fact.
Emotion.
Benefit.

Fact.
Emotion.
Benefit.

"The sky is blue
To be stuck inside
is making life hazy."

Give me a bag and a stick,
I must climb to yon mountain top
To see ithe sky to stop
Just where the crows their wings do flick.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There is no limit to what yuo can do with rhyme and rhythm. A poet is inspied with freedom to write good or bad poetry.But please , do not write prose.and call it prosody.

EinStud
.cheese

01-17-2010 at 09:43:39 PM

Look. Let's throw away the hate mail. Let's come together and be poets. I want you to share your ideas, just the same way I share mine. And there is never a right way or wrong way to write poetry.

This week I have the opportunity to share with you a really great gift. It is free. And it requires nothing other than your attention.

Since I am a professional Songwriter, I guess it is okay to share with you some of the things I learned in the business over the years. I am no poet. But the two fields do aspire towards the same goal... to evoke emotion.

Here is a free, COMPLETELY free program link to the most wonderful poem and song writing tool I have ever come across. Sure there are others out there, but are they free?

I won't explain what it does. I won't explain how to use it. Just trust me. Go there. And report back to this website what you have found.

The Link:
http://www.bryantmcgill.com/Free_Rhyming_Dictionary/

Educate me. Yes, tell me what you have learned so I can also grow.

Peace Out, EinStud

08-05-2010 at 03:31:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinStud

If you have some ideas or experiences that will help other poets, please add it here.

cool smile
most of my writing is 911. i can't get to a piece of paper fast enough, (fear of losing that thought forever) knowing that you can't recapture the exavct wordsand they will be gone forever.(however if not inspired. example I write alot of true and soft poetry). I have even written obituruies . Okey someone has to. I copy write everything. However I use to keep a ticklers list of what I called pretty words. Key words on the internet. If you don't mind rhyming. just write pretty words that rhyme on the right hand side. then write yourverses before the rhyming words. Sometimes I will flip the sentance.in order to rhyme. that usually has profound and beautiful discoveries.of words spoken forever.

Poetry is not an expression of the party line. It's that time of night, lying in bed, thinking what you really think, making the private world public, that's what the poet does.

Allen Ginsberg (1926-1997) U.S. poet.