Original Poetry Forums

SOME HINTS TO INPROVE YOUR POETRY

10-10-2009 at 06:01:08 AM

SOME HINTS TO INPROVE YOUR POETRY

Hints for Improving Poetry

BLANK VERSE-

I have noticed that most poets, including myself, who subscribe to ORIGINAL POETRY, show a strong preference to compose their creations in blank verse. Some reasons are obvious. Most modern poets dislike the stringencies and rules set by the old masters . They gyrate towards avoiding rules that are likely to stultify or frustrate what is natural to them.

However , in their free style poetry, appear a few glaring defects which often mar a fine piece of art. The most glaring defect is “overlong lines or verses”. This fault immediately causes a piece to look ;
Unbalanced
To lose metrical rhythm
To become semi-prosaic or completely prosaic.
To lose poetic effect.
To lose thematic force.
To lose musicality.

I find this note on Blank Verse, to be very useful.

Blank Verse is unrhymed pentameter verse, Of all regular forms it is the most fluid and most useful . It comes closest to the natural rhythms of English speech. It differs from prose by being heightened by passages of passion and grandeur of imagery.

The works of Shakespeare, Maxwell Anderson, T.S. Elliott and Alexander Poe, are excellent models of blank verse. Milton used blank verse for the epic, Paradise Lost. Wordsworth used it in Prelude. Tennyson wrote the narrative poem, Idylls of the King, in blank verse. It is advisable for poets to read Coleridge’s Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

I specially like blank verse because it allows freedom to the poet; it affords fluidity, it minimizes stiffness, it provides for variation of caesural pauses within the lines; it is nearer to how we speak.

Here is an excellent sample of blank verse:

Five years have past; five summers, with the length
Of five long winters! And again I hear
These waters, rolling from their mountain-springs
With a soft inland murmur-Once gain
Do I behold these steep and lofty cliffs,
That on a wild secluded scene impress
Thoughts of more deep seclusion; and connect
The landscape with the quiet of the sky.

READ THE MASTERS IN ORDER TO IMPROVE YOUR POETIC STYLE.
VISIT YOUR LOCAL LIBRARY IN SEARCH OF THE MASTERS

Some poets on OP, such as WordSlinger, BadBadBear, gogant , to name a few, are creating excellent blank verse,
BEAR IN MIND: The ideal length of a verse is five feet or ten syllables or less.
In blank verse, a poet may use six feet or twelve syllables. Break over-long lines or verses, into two lines or verses.

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-10-2009 at 10:48:48 PM

10-10-2009 at 05:44:40 PM

Re: SOME HINTS TO INPROVE YOUR POETRY

Hello and thank you cousinsoren for your wise input and most kind comments pertaining to mine and other poets Blank Verse writing. I'm overwhelmed and humbled as i'm certain Wordslinger, gogant and many other poets here at OP are. Your work and your writing skills
are incredible. I'm still waiting to read the first 5 Parts per Tizzy Dancing to which i've only read Part 6 and when a poet reads a masterpiece .. a poet knows. If you've not won the weekly contest here at the OP site, undoubtedly your work has fell in the cracks somehow
with no sensible explanation to be had. Continued success to you sir excaim

BadBadBear cool smirk

10-10-2009 at 10:39:51 PM

Re: Re: SOME HINTS TO INPROVE YOUR POETRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBadBear

Hello and thank you cousinsoren for your wise input and most kind comments pertaining to mine and other poets Blank Verse writing. I'm overwhelmed and humbled as i'm certain Wordslinger, gogant and many other poets here at OP are. Your work and your writing skills
are incredible. I'm still waiting to read the first 5 Parts per Tizzy Dancing to which i've only read Part 6 and when a poet reads a masterpiece .. a poet knows. If you've not won the weekly contest here at the OP site, undoubtedly your work has fell in the cracks somehow
with no sensible explanation to be had. Continued success to you sir excaim

BadBadBear cool smirk

Thanks , My Friend , for this , your kind acknowledgement. I do not post , at any time whatever, , to win the contest...................lol. I post because I am anxious to share my poems with others , as well as to enjoy and appreciate those of other poets--- some like yourself who are better poets than I.

I have posted Puppets (Part One) as you requested. Part Two -----next weekend,. Rate me , please.

10-11-2009 at 10:41:47 AM

You're more than welcome my Fellow Poet Friend. You have some great, great work i enjoy as well as many others appreciate and enjoy your work also. I do enter the weekly contest to hopefully share my work with OP personnel also whom may otherwise never read any of my work. I could care less about the contest as you yourself have mentioned. As if they don't have enough to read already.Certainly i enjoy sharing and reading other poets work as well.

Thank you for your time to post Puppets ( Part One ) and i'm looking forward to Part Two next week. It's a done deal, rated immediately after i'd the pleasure of reading. I'd be the last to say that my work is better than yours or anyone elses. I'm here creating with equal friends
as yourself.

BadBadBear cool smirk

Last edited by BadBadBear 10-11-2009 at 10:43:45 AM

10-11-2009 at 03:12:24 PM

I love my Teacher Oren, can we go fishing now, lol

10-11-2009 at 09:41:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSlinger

I love my Teacher Oren, can we go fishing now, lol

Sunday 11, 2009

Word,

You caused stitches in my side , having broken a rib or two with laughter. I have instructed my doctor to send you the bill. Go fishing, if you can find a pool big enough for you and Madelynn to fish in...............................lol

I shall send you six more poems , next week.

10-12-2009 at 11:11:23 AM

but if its all monotone doesnt it give it that dull affect???
Ive realized that if something doesnt have a rythme or a beat or something, it just doesnt catch me attention.

i wanna make my poetry better but i want it to...i want it to catch peoples attentions. I mean. if it doesnt catch my attention then dont other people feel the same? confused

10-12-2009 at 03:05:18 PM

I agree with Vampire, originality is something that cannot be taught and many times not understood by contempraries. Writing is an art form, just like great creators like Michaelangelo, Rodan, Matisse, the Wright Brothers, Dali, Einstein, Monet, Bill Gates, Van gogh, Beethoven, Picasso, Ferrari and others, the flame of creativity will always burn hot, and is the path to continuing human evolution in many fields including art. Let us not be reactionary or the mind, and our society, becomes stangnant because when we do not progress, we digress. This line of reasoning that the preexisting is the only way, by extension, would have us all riding horses and living in caves mentally. Let us not all be limited by the mundane, capable only of driving only four door Hondas, PLEASE!!

10-12-2009 at 09:22:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireGirl666

but if its all monotone doesnt it give it that dull affect???
Ive realized that if something doesnt have a rythme or a beat or something, it just doesnt catch me attention.

i wanna make my poetry better but i want it to...i want it to catch peoples attentions. I mean. if it doesnt catch my attention then dont other people feel the same? confused

There is a whole bag of tricks , a poet can use to minimize or eradicate monotone in blank verse.

Since the primary aim of blank verse is to tell a story, in the best possible way,

a poet can introduce characters and dialogue between characters in the poem.

Inanimate things such as rivers and trees , as well as animals, can be made to act and talk like humans'

Literary strategies such as irony, metonomy , metaphors, hyoerbole , adeptly used will relieve moonotone.

Variation in length of lines or verses.

Exclamation

Apathetic appeal, and pathetic fallacy,talking directly to a reader. appealing to reader experience. Introducing into poem elements that the reader finds pleasure in identifying with.

Tempo variation, using long and short syllables, strong and weak accents.

Use of Onmatopoeiaic words, , such as bang, buzz, hiss. moan, roar etc.

In fact, because of its anecdotal flexibility, blank verse poses less tendency towards monotone.

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-13-2009 at 06:15:08 PM

10-12-2009 at 09:26:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grito

I agree with Vampire, originality is something that cannot be taught and many times not understood by contempraries. Writing is an art form, just like great creators like Michaelangelo, Rodan, Matisse, the Wright Brothers, Dali, Einstein, Monet, Bill Gates, Van gogh, Beethoven, Picasso, Ferrari and others, the flame of creativity will always burn hot, and is the path to continuing human evolution in many fields including art. Let us not be reactionary or the mind, and our society, becomes stangnant because when we do not progress, we digress. This line of reasoning that the preexisting is the only way, by extension, would have us all riding horses and living in caves mentally. Let us not all be limited by the mundane, capable only of driving only four door Hondas, PLEASE!!

I agree entirely with you, Grito. Freedom of expression is the primary reason most modern poets write blank verse. But at the same time we must be aware of pitfalls that could reduce us to mediocrity. To cook a tasty pot of soup there are some ingredients you wouldn't put in, would you??? You wouldn't use an excessive temperature, would you? Your cooking time would be within reasoned or experienced limits, wouldn't it?

Griro, I find it fascinating , as well as intriguing, that all the masters that you mentioned , were able to discover new horizons, to enter unknown regions never discovered before , and to ahieve greatnes by closely observing and following basic and fundamental rules. ........................................lol.

MIchael Angelo ws a stickler for details. His most famous words were: "Trifles make perfection, but perfection is no trifle"

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-13-2009 at 06:59:04 AM

10-13-2009 at 06:45:38 AM

Quote:

BUT GRITO,

IT IS A TRAVESTY TO POSE PROSE AS POETRY. THE TRUE OR ASPIRING POET ENDEAVOURS TO PERFECT HIS ART OR ALCHEMY BY LISTENING TO HIMSELF, AS WELL AS LISTENNG TO OTHER POETS.....................LOL

10-13-2009 at 07:20:05 AM

Quote:

POETRY , THEME OR MOOD NOTWITHSTANDING, MUST POSSESS MUSICALITY.

I love your epigrammatic statement: " "the flame of creativity will always burn hot, and is the path to continuing human evolution in many fields, including art. " Great truth!

10-13-2009 at 04:43:58 PM

Dear Cousin, I think we are in agreement but are stating it differently. I can see that you are as passionate about poetry as we all are and express a desire to elevate and give advise about improvements. Kudos!

10-16-2009 at 02:45:35 PM

Quote:

Dear Cousin, I think we are in agreement but are stating it differently. I can see that you are as passionate about poetry as we all are and express a desire to elevate and give advise about improvements. Kudos!

THANKS, Grifo!

I have started to read you.

10-18-2009 at 05:19:34 PM

I don't know, I have to have rhyme, syllable count and meter. Otherwise how would I know when the poem is ready? :D

10-18-2009 at 06:19:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves

I don't know, I have to have rhyme, syllable count and meter. Otherwise how would I know when the poem is ready? :D

Well. Sleeves these you mentioned are fundamental structural elements on which to build a poem. But of course, there is imagery which is really the art of painting what you see or feel or what you are thinking, by the use of tricks called "Figures of speech" Figures of speech include similes, metaphors, metonomy, hyperbolole, irony etc Look them up on your computer.

However, remember that a poem is an outpouring of the spirit, and a poet is free to express whatever he feel or sees , as he thinks fit, in order to attract his audience. He hasn't got to be shackled by well- manicured rhymes. He may write free verse . However , a poet should avoid long lines of verses. Break over-long lines into two verses,
If your poetry doesn't sound like prose to you, or to your friends, it is ready. ........lol!

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-18-2009 at 06:46:07 PM

10-18-2009 at 06:34:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeves

I agree, sleevy. We should do our best with what our feelings are telling us to write...but keep in mind...we may have to argue a few points between ourselves.

smirk...................................................g

10-18-2009 at 10:28:58 PM

Some great advice for a beginner like me, thanks.

10-18-2009 at 11:05:50 PM

Hey rizzo, you have a friend in cousin when it comes to learning the tricks and pitfalls of the art of writing poetry well............................................g

gulp

10-19-2009 at 03:48:01 AM

Oren,

You spoke from my heart. A poem, or any piece of art for that matter, should be exactly as the artist imagined it would be. If it calls for a white linen canvas, so be it. If it calls for a blank verse, or freestyle, then that's what it's gotta be. But the way I see it, the line between talent and wannabes is whether the artist can use all these fine tools at his/her disposal or not.

What my ironic question pointed out is only my personal preference. The form is undoubtedly just the hollow shell, what matters is what's inside, what fills it with life. Me, I tend to stick to those structural elements. Perhaps because I don't consider myself a poet, an artist, but more like a 'poem-smith'. I feel rather insecure writing free poems, and I would never release something that I don't feel good about. Maybe it's just my engineering background :D

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886) American poet.